• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The brutal California sun

Healey3000

Very excellent advice above.

My worthless take:

Have it done right. Buy a really good car cover and buy some time. 

Start a "Malaga" monthly fund and put some money away each month.  During this time do some research on some reputable paint shops in the area. Unfortunately, most collision places really are not interested in complete prep and paint jobs. (and I don't think most Bay Area shops are going to be cheap) The farther you roam away from there, the cheaper the shops will become) (Central Valley?) 

When they happen again, check out a few car/hot rod shows in the area. You can see some of the shops work, collect a few business cards, chat with them if they are onsite. Ask a few pertinent points (like above). See if they offer a cash discount. 

Hopefully during the time you can get enough funds together and go for it.

Even if I lived in/near  SF, the cost/time of getting the car to TJ, painted and back may still be your least expensive and most rewarding route. 

Cheers! 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

Thanks folks, for your suggestions.

Given that there is some rust forming under the window trim along the bottom of the pop-out windows, I think I will have the upper part of the car painted to the beltline, as Mike has suggested.

While I like the 2002, it's not worth putting in $15k (in my opinion).  If I were to spend that kind of money, I would prefer to do so on an e9 (recognizing that those are rust-prone and will need some body repair).  Who knows, I might relent and get the Malaga box some new clothes!

Edited by Healey3000

On 7/16/2020 at 7:28 AM, Healey3000 said:

Thanks folks, for your suggestions.

Given that there is some rust forming under the window trim along the bottom of the pop-out windows, I think I will have the upper part of the car painted to the beltline, as Mike has suggested.

While I like the 2002, it's not worth putting in $15k (in my opinion).  If I were to spend that kind of money, I would prefer to do so on an e9 (recognizing that those are rust-prone and will need some body repair).  Who knows, I might relent and get the Malaga box some new clothes!

Sounds like you should just to the Maaco route, or sell the car.

1 hour ago, golf73 said:

Sounds like you should just to the Maaco route, or sell the car.

I don't want to sell the car!  Having both a 2002 and an e9 would be ideal as they make such good stablemates.  Let's see - I'd need a bigger garage, so we'd have to move and buy a different house...

I'm sure I'll find someone better than Maaco.  That can't be difficult ?.

Maaco can do a pretty good job actually, on the budget job they cheap out on prep and paint but other choices and price points are available.

Prep can be done at home and the car trailered to them. I was able to negotiate the use of better paint that I supplied.  Years ago though.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I had my 76 Chaminox painted from the belt line down when I had the chrome bumpers mounted. No one can tell the difference between above and below the belt line. But my car has 78,000 easy miles and was always garaged. So the paint is in excellent condition and easier to match I suspect.

I delivered it to the body shop bumpers off with many holes to fill and paint front and rear. I found the shop for my son, was really pleased with the results and the price(he had estimates almost twice my shop's).  The shop is small, one paint booth, modern fans, etc. Current owner a solo practitioner. Into Pontiac muscle cars. Price for my car:  $2700.  Shop is far from Phila. in Bucks County.

Shop around, ask guys for recommendations, find someone who will work with you. The shops not wired into insurance/dealer work are the way to go. All said before but worth repeating.

Steve

• Like 1