• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Rear Disk for 13" (fitment issues)

joh99033

All,

It's been a while since my last time posting in here but it's great to be back. I recently acquired IE's new rear Wilwood disk conversion kit to replace my existing IE VW rear disk kit. I ordered it because I desperately want to get back into 13" rims. This has been a desire of mine for years so of course when I saw that IE now has a kit that can fit with 13" wheels, I had to jump at the opportunity. Anyway, I recently got the new kit installed, along with my already installed Wilwood front disk kit. My mechanic who installed them called up and said that the rears wouldn't clear my Ronal Clover wheels which measure 6x13 ET28. He said that the only way they will be able to fit is if I installed a 20mm (.79") spacer. Yuk! What the heck?!! I'm scratching my head on this one. 

Have any of you mounted or had any issues mounting this kit with your 13" rims? I'd love to get some feedback on other people's experiences. I'm also struggling to visualize how a spacer would help solve any clearance issues. I've attached a random diagram of a wheel. Could someone please point out to me where on the diagram this brake kit would likely interfere? IE if you are listening I would also love to get your thoughts on this.

Also attached is a photo of my recently acquired Ronal clovers (Kleeblatt) rims shrouded in fresh Pirelli CN36 tires. Yum!!

Cheers,

Christian 

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 1.55.27 PM.png

IMG_3823.jpg

I assume the clearance issue is between the caliper and the wheel spokes, and not the caliper and barrel of the rim?

i assume that because that is the problem I had when installing a front bbk and rear discs on mine. I had 15” Panasports so clearance should not have been a problem, and that was true between the calipers and the inner surface of the barrel, but the spokes fouled the caliper. I had to buy 15” Rota RBs whose spokes cleared the caliper and sell the panasports.

E1D839F4-AF83-4D9D-AD86-F1FE5FB6C10D.jpeg

Colin

1968 1602

The 5.5” Ronal R2 (a.k.a., Kleeblatt) has an overall width of 7”, memorable because that is a wide rim for what is nominally a 5.5” rim (overall width on vintage rims is typically 1 1/8” greater than the nominal width). If your rims have an overall width of 8”, I’m curious if they might be 6.5” rims — Ronals were available in 5.5”, 6”, 6.5”, 7”, and probably more widths. Regardless of the brake interference issue, you’d generally be entering the “rubbing zone” with a 6.5” rim (ET18 equivalent with that 10mm spacer installed) and 185/70 tire on an un-modified car.

Ronal model numbers can often be de-coded into the nominal rim size, and the PCD if you have the codes. I know, for instance, that the initial “355” on my model number 3554031 represent a 13” rim, with a nominal width of 5.5”. What model number do you have?

Regards,

Steve

5D09899C-62F9-4B00-91FF-0BCC867A4FC2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve,

Thank you very much for message and this helpful information. My number reads 3624031. So if I'm understanding you correctly my nominal width would be 6.24"? Then following an additional 1.125" to 1.5" width if my math is correct puts my wheels somewhere around 7.4" to 7.7". Does that sound about right?

I do have rolled rear fenders which hopefully buys me an additional .25". I also have adjustable IE rear camber and toe plates. I wonder if adding a little extra rear camber would pull in the top of the rim enough to clear the fenders. I guess I'll just have to find out and report back.

Thanks,

Christian

On 6/6/2020 at 2:03 AM, joh99033 said:

Steve,

Thank you very much for message and this helpful information. My number reads 3624031. So if I'm understanding you correctly my nominal width would be 6.24"? Then following an additional 1.125" to 1.5" width if my math is correct puts my wheels somewhere around 7.4" to 7.7". Does that sound about right?

Christian,

That sounds right — at least theoretically! The fourth digit, 4, represents something different, such as number of lug holes (I can neither perfectly recall nor find the de-coding website). The “031” indicates 100 mm. pitch circle diameter, so, yes, correct fitment for an ‘02, or an Opel.

And maybe 6.2 is short-hand for 6 1/4”. So, yes, I’d expect an overall width of 7 3/4” (6 1/4” + 1 1/2”). I’m guessing that all Kleeblatts are exceptionally wide for their nominal width and, thus, sticking with that 1 1/2” differential.

Perhaps confirming the 6 1/4” nominal width (7 3/4” overall width) theory, or perhaps just coincidentally, given a 7 3/4” overall width and a 5” backspace, I calculate an offset of 28.5 mm., consistent with the offset cast into the rims.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_3438.jpg

Edited by Conserv

Christian, 

you might be able to get those rears to fit under

the car with a spacer.  I tried getting 0et 13x6 Panasports

with 205-60 tires under there, and it was really close.  Didn't

work, but didn't work by about 1/4".  The rear of that car

had had its quarters replaced, so there wasn't any rolling

the lips to be done, as the 'lip' was about 1/4" of weld.

Certainly worth trying.

Another thing- before you buy spacers, mock them up

(plywood, stacked washers, what have you) to see how much

clearance you really need.  It's hard to accurately predict how much

needs to be added without trying.

And another thing- different manufacturers' calipers are sometimes

cast differently.  So a Girling may be worse than an ATE for fitment, e.g.

And finally, sharp edges can be ground off calipers.  Especially in back.

t

"make it fit, Scotty!"

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Christian,

I’d recommend you read the following thread: it’s got some excellent — and entirely hopeful — discussion regarding 6 x 13, ET28, Kleeblatts, running 205/60 tires!

It’s not going to re-solve the front caliper interference issue, but it should put you at ease with respect to the rears.

Regards,

Steve

• 1 month later...