• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odometer Knob stuck

NYNick

I've been avoiding this job for a while since it's so uncomfortable getting to the back of the instrument cluster while lying in some kind of yoga pose, but it took all of about 5 minutes to get it back out. I tried this last year but got frustrated so I just put it back in and lived with it. 

Last year I couldn't pull the knob off the front of the cluster to remove the speedometer from the gauge cluster. I need to get at it so I can attempt to repair the odometer, which does not work. I have the proepr gears etc to give this a shot, but am stymied because I can't get the damn thing out. 

I'd appreciate any suggestions. I seem to remember I removed the circlip at the base and the back of the shaft, but that didn't help either. Ideas?

Thx guys.

Nick

20200526_100241.jpg

20200526_100137.jpg

Edited by NYNick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

The shaft is a slip fit into the knob.  No need to remove the knob.  Did someone glue it??

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Jim's right again!  The black knob can stay in the face of the cluster.  The odometer shaft should just slide out the back along with the speedo.

024.JPG

On mine, the odometer stopped spinning because these two gears were not aligned properly.  No new gears were required. 

026.JPG

I used the technique in the articles section that shows you how to deform the shaft so it will get a grip on the plastic gear.  Moving that gear on the shaft is what brought the brass gear back out to meet the worm gear.  (iirc, that was eight years ago now).

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, jimk said:

The shaft is a slip fit into the knob.  No need to remove the knob.  Did someone glue it??

I think they might have glued it. I think maybe I kinda sorta see some schmutz on the shaft, but who knows anymore. My vision ain't what it used to be. I applied some mineral spirits with a Q-tip to see if maybe that would soften any adhesive that's on there. I tried gently prying the plastic knob, which has a 'slip fit' fork at the end to see if I could loosen it, but struck out so far.

I had a feeling it just slipped right on. Maybe I'll heat the shaft with a soldering iron near the end of the knob to see if maybe that melts the schmutz.

Thx fellas.

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Got it!

By holding the shaft with needle nose pliers and the knob with regular pliers, I gently twisted it and it came off.

If I didn't know better I'd say that was rust on the end of the knob shaft. How the hell...

Now for the speedo repair.

20200526_124947.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Argh...

I managed to remove the gear shaft, deform it a tad and replace it. Everything seems to now work as it should, except....

the numbers are misaligned pretty badly. I clearly need to adjust them so they are uniform and turn when they should. Do I have to redo the shaft process....that was a pain and it's in there pretty tightly so it's not going to be easy to remove....I'vd been trying.

Any other way? Perhaps remove the top syncho gears...the white small ones? Thanks guys.

Nick

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS