• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 32/36 Issues

PeterCS

I cleaned my Weber this winter and installed (the right) new jets.

now I am having troubles getting my 74 ‘02 to start. 

With the manual choke fully engaged, it will start, rev up for 5-7 seconds and then die. It sometimes restarts briefly with my pedal pressed to the floor.  It will also fire up right away if I spray in ignition fluid. But dies quickly. 

There is fuel in the reservoir. I have an electric fuel pump that worked last year and refilled the reservoir for the first start after the winter. 

thoughts?

many thanks, PeterCS 

Have you disconnected the fuel pump on the outlet side (or if electric, at the carb's inlet) and let it squirt into a catch can just to make sure it's functioning?  The fact that it will start on fluid says the ignition is performing properly, so it sounds like fuel isn't reaching the jets.  

One more test:  with the engine off, look down the carb throat while working the accelerator linkage and see if you get a squirt from the accelerator pump nozzle.  No squirt may mean no gas in the carb.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite