• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater valve question

Mike A

I ordered a repair kit from blunt and it didn’t seem to fit as it had a small alignment nub that was supposed to match the cover plate.  Apparently the cover plate should have the matching hole, this one does not. I called Blunt for clarification and he said he had never seen a valve like this one. In order for the cover plate to fit back on the body the nub has to be removed. Any reason why that won’t work?

The pix show the center nub removed. Appreciate any help identifying what I have and comments on the repair. Mike 

39EA9D1F-D60D-4945-AB06-E1A4510ECAA8.jpeg

8C7E0017-149D-4520-9F2E-63EF1767B326.jpeg

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Mike, There's no reason why it shouldn’t work without the nub on the Teflon plug. As long as the plug rotates smoothly and the recess on the shaft side of the plug isn’t damaged, it should work. If you do want to ask the folks that designed the retrofit kit, contact Alloy Metal Products in Livermore, CA. They actually designed and manufacture the kit. Blunt is just the distributor. Ask for Fred Matter. He’s the president. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ An interesting reveal... (why?)

32 minutes ago, Mike A said:

I ordered a repair kit from blunt and it didn’t seem to fit as it had a small alignment nub that was supposed to match the cover plate.

I've taken apart numerous heater valves, and cannot recall seeing a cover with the small recess yours has. Personally, I believe there's value to having that alignment 'nub' on the nylon valve - though, given the valve is large and teflon, it could work (heck, it's your time and an adventure).

As a data point, the solid brass valves I've seen don't have the locating nub.

Though perhaps a little late now, PM me if you need a correct cover. -KB

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:31 AM, kbmb02 said:

I've taken apart numerous heater valves, and cannot recall seeing a cover with the small recess yours has.

Mine before I cleaned it up and put in new seals, etc. Mine has the brass cylinder internals to the valve. And the cover with the recesses. Euro car, but valve looks the same ...?

IMG_9516.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zambo said:

Mine before I cleaned it up and put in new seals, etc. Mine has the brass cylinder internals to the valve. And the cover with the recesses. Euro car, but valve looks the same ...?

Well, look at that ... I guess I need to take apart some more heater valves. -KB

• Like 1

Here's the original to my Nov '73 build Touring.

Has a large centre hole, but not large enough to fit over the "nub" on the brass valve!!!!

DSCN2616sm.JPG

Edit: ok, not the orig valve, but the orig cover - the orig valve was the plastic variety.

Edited by 02Les
brain fade

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

25 minutes ago, zambo said:

Hi Mike - I'm not sure if your question is aimed at me or the OP but if to me, mine is a November '72 build - RHD.

My valve is exactly like yours. On a January 73tii. My pix did not show the inside brass control cylinder

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?