• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Rails

gwb72tii

31 minutes ago, gwb72tii said:

I’m surprised after all these years, because of the lack new rails from of mobile traditions, that one of our enterprising members has not manufactured a replacement set for the 2002 for sale. Has anyone tried?

My guess is that there are vast amounts of used rails available.  Places like 2002ad, bimmerparts, FAQ members, etc.  Bearings likely need replacing on all original rails but otherwise they should never wear out.

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Keen to hear how they can be pulled apart and fixed Paul. I have done a search and haven't come across any articles.

I have thoroughly degreased mine and they move a whole lot better but obviously i must put grease back too.

I cannot figure out how to separate top and bottom halves.

If you simply drop them off at the plater — my answer to many restoration questions — they generally come back looking as new. No disassembly required. I’m sorry I can’t find a photo of just the rails. Below is a re-plated original rail in my ‘76 — greased up.

I’m not convinced that seat track bearings are noticeably worn on many ‘02’s. Seats are not endlessly slid back and forth on most cars. My ‘76 might be a best-case scenario, as I’ve owned it since new. But the driver’s seat is probably in the same location today as it was when I picked up the car in July 1976. And most passengers do not adjust their seats. Thus, my seats were moved for interior cleaning, seat removal, and not much else. Yes, 44 to 54 years is a long time, but there are lots of very good seat tracks left. They just need re-plating... ?

Regards,

Steve

866E3125-299F-4DB8-96F6-E253D1FF9957.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

59 minutes ago, Stein-man said:

I tried to take them apart, and gave up after an hour.  Off to the plating shop with them, as is!

- Rob

Good man! They’ll be ready for the concours judging! ?

May I add that I’ve long harbored the suspicion that in instances where you are able to remove the bearings, it’s because the tracks and/or bearings are worn?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve -

After my wrestling match with them, I believe they are formed during assembly to have pressure on the bearing.  The upper piece has two depressions that stop the travel when the roller bonks them.  I drilled out the depressions and still couldn't get it apart - off to plating!

- Rob