• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater valve mounting bracket replacement

stumpedtown

My 02 didn't have a heater valve in it, PO just had it pumping the heat 24/7... I didn't want to buy the $320 OEM valve so found one that will work online for just $15. Had to make a replacement bracket for it in either case as the plastic broke off as it does for every one of these things. This is what I came up with, will get it riveted in place once I get a rivet gun... Thought it might inspire some others out there. 

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0873.jpeg

Truth be told, the hoses are stiff enough to hold the valve in place by themselves.  

I'd be leery about pop riveting your aluminum bracket to that 40-something year old plastic housing.  I'd either use JB weld, or drill bracket and box, then use small machine screws and nuts to secure.  Use washers under whichever end of the fastener that bears against the plastic.

mike

PS--what's the source/ P/N of the valve you ordered?  

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'd considered that, too, the hoses likely keeping it in place, maybe I'll end up doing that instead of drilling holes because I am definitely concerned about that as well. This is the valve I purchased, keep in mind of course that I haven't gotten everything put together to ensure it works for this application but it seems very likely it will: 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B7BUAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for sharing that valve. Be sure to let us know how it worked, I'm really tempted to get one. Some of the reviews indicate the picture is incorrect regarding the arrow for direction of flow.   

Eric 

4 hours ago, stumpedtown said:

...This is the valve I purchased, keep in mind of course that I haven't gotten everything put together to ensure it works for this application but it seems very likely it will: 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B7BUAU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The valve part description says “it’s a pull to open” so your lever control may work backwards. What you want is a “quarter turn, pull to close” valve. Still, for $15, if you can make it work and the worse is having the control lever work backwards, that’s not too shabby at all.