• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank inlet filler pipe and gasket

jp5Touring

Was going to replace the rubber gas tank inlet filler pipe. The gasket that  is between the body  and the rubber inlet, do people install it dry or do you use gasket sealer ?

Replacing part #  11 and 14. I couldn't find any info on it. thanks 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2583-USA-05-1973-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=16_0384 

And when you install the plate on the inside, don't overtighten the bolts or you'll warp the plate (kinda like overtightening the valve cover) and cause a leak--if not liquid, at least fumes...

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, halboyles said:

gasoline-proof sealant on it.

Hylomar, it's non-setting and so the seal won't break later.  Use it on all gaskets, no RTV that turns to jello in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

18 minutes ago, jimk said:

Hylomar, it's non-setting and so the seal won't break later.  Use it on all gaskets, no RTV that turns to jello in time.

Use Hylomar M or Universal blue ?   Thanks

also thx Mike and Hal

I used rtv for now but can get another gasket and redo it.  The rubber neck had a several small cracks in it,hopefully that will cure my trunk gas smell.    Nothing like your head in the trunk in a enclosed garage. ? 

Permatex Blue worked for my tii flat tank top gasket that is difficult to seal without distorting the pickup unit.  Smeared a light coat on both sides of the gasket and let the carrier evaporate.  It's runny when it comes out of the tube.  Stuff was made to break the joint and reassemble without having to put on new sealant.  Came out of the gas turbine industry.  

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.