• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having Fun With A Scammer or

Mike A

...has Brian Baker returned for more easy cash?

I had posted a WTB for a manifold heat shield yesterday. Today I received a reply...from Allycurtis 773

a longtime member..he joined 16 hours before sending me the PM

"I know of someone who has this..you can reach him at elmendez679@gmail."   To which I replied..

"Thanks for the info".

Then I sent Mr Mendez a message..

-----Original Message-----

On Friday, December 27, 2019, Mike A wrote:

Somebody on bmw2002faq gave me your address as perhaps having a heat shield for sale . It is to go on a 73 Tii and looks like the one in the attached photo. Could you kindly confirm with a return photo of the piece and what the price would be?

Thanks for your help, Mike

To: Mike A <Mike A>

Sent: Fri, Dec 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Subject: Re: BMW 2002 Tii Heat Shield

He:   Sorry for the late responses as I was busy and just got a chance to check my mail..yes i have it for sale and how much are you willing to take them?

Me: Whoa! Looks lie it is NOS.  Will you take $150? Where are you located for estimated shipping cost?

He:  I’m in Illinois..what’s your shipping information?

Me:  I am at zip 12586

He: Okay fine..I’ll have it shipped to your address..my means of payment is cash app..send me your complete shipping information so I can have it shipped tomorrow

Me:  Let me send you a money order ...that's as good as cash. When you get it i will have my address on it, then you can ship it out

He:  Do you by chance have Zelle cash app or if you can have it sent PayPal gift payment so I can commence shipments immediately

Me:  yes I have Zelle.  I need your telephone number to pay.

(A gap of about 10 minutes took place)

He:  Make the Zelle payment to this email dadsrose56@gmail.com.. And let me know when payment is made..Thanks

Me: Okay ..no problem. Just one more request....can you kindly  make a small note and write today's date on it, and take a photo of it next to the heat shield please

He: That’s not a problem I’ll do that when I’m about to ship it to you..I’m currently not with the item..you haven’t sent me your shipping information

Me: Oh I see. Do you expect to be with it soon? Because I can wait if it's not too long.

He:  I’ll have it done when I’m about to ship..Do you have any problem with that?

Me: Actually, I hesitate to do that . I have been burned in the past. Your name isn't Brian Baker is it?

And with that…..no more messages

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

..Oh wait . There's more..

He: The Zelle is for my wife..i have only cash app and PayPal but since you don’t have any of those that, why i sent you my wife Zelle for you so you can make the payment there. 

and I replied

Me:  Okay , so  she is with the piece? and she can take a photo and send it to me right?

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

He: She’s with me, and i told you earlier that the item is not currently here with me..when i want to have it shipped i will do all that for me
Me: Ahh ok...out shopping or returning gifts I bet. Well when will you be back to send me the photo?

He:It feels you’re being skeptical about all of this..If you’re skeptical..Just have someone come pick it up for you over here..It would save extra shipping cost you know..Thanks 

Me: Great! What’s the address? And he will bring cash

He: When is he coming?

Me: whenever you are home to show him the piece....But in order for me to arrange it, I need your Illinois address. I have people in Chicago, Springfield , Aurora, , Joliet, Rockford and Naperville. They all owe me a favor.

He: Alright that won’t be a problem..you are really skeptical about this..I’m gonna send my address to you..but I’m letting you know that if anything goes wrong I’m gonna get you a refund..it’s would be best you let me have it shipped for you so as to save the stress 

Me:  I'm waiting

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Healey3000 said:

Why?  A lot of honest people use gmail as their email provider.  Is there some issue one should be on guard for with gmail?

Thanks.

That did have a ring of finality didn't it?

Sorry, let me rephrase.

Scammers and phishers seem to like gmail. maybe its easy to sign up for multiple mailboxes, I dont know.

I do communicate with folks who have gmail accounts if I know/trust them.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

8 hours ago, tech71 said:

gmail.com= instant delete. I don't open

Gmail and low post count/young account, yes. I rock gmail, but I think I'm also a legit guy around here lol

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

21 minutes ago, javi_gutierrez said:

That’s exactly what a scammer would say ;)

Wanna buy a factory 2002 LSD? 4.56 ratio, 67% lock up, only run three times since new. $150 bucks! I take Western Union ?

• Haha 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2