• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb/manifold question

Scottjeffrey

I removed the weber 32/36 DGAV today from my stock 1974, desmogged '02. It looks to me from the indentations on the base gaskets (on top and below the spacer) that the manifold opening should be a bit larger. The car ran good but I am wondering as to what kind of difference is obtained, if the manifold is modified as I am thinking it ideally would be. Of course I may be wrong. I'd like to put the new or rebuilt car back on without removing the intake manifold and am wondering what the real difference is. Than you all.

Best Regards,

Scott

70169787_10219783543560538_8903382258744819712_n.jpg

The gasket oval has a bigger end and smaller end for use with the 32/36, looks to me like they installed  it backwards.

As you found out, as long as the throttle blades aren't hitting, it will run just fine.  You may leave some HP behind, but if you don't want to pull the intake manifold, then there's not much you can do.

I have a Weber 38 and decided to opened mine up:

20160821_160133.thumb.jpg.cc5a406a72b4abde332333cf99313e98.jpg

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

1 hour ago, xr4tic said:

The gasket oval has a bigger end and smaller end for use with the 32/36, looks to me like they installed  it backwards.

As you found out, as long as the throttle blades aren't hitting, it will run just fine.  You may leave some HP behind, but if you don't want to pull the intake manifold, then there's not much you can do.

I have a Weber 38 and decided to opened mine up:

20160821_160133.thumb.jpg.cc5a406a72b4abde332333cf99313e98.jpg

Hi John, Thanks for the reply. Seems you have it right about the gasket being installed backwards. I guess not matching the manifold exactly is as you suggest, paid for in horsepower though apparently they can 'run fine' nonetheless. If only I had a garage, lol. I hope you are happy with your 38. I have read many good things here about them. Best Wishes - Scott

PS. Do you know if there should be a paper gasket above AND below the spacer?

Edited by Scottjeffrey

I opened mine up with the manifold in place, after stuffing the ports with rags.  I also put a sheet of cardboard over the engine, with a cut out for the intake.  That way the little aluminum shavings did not wind up stuck to every oily bit in the bay.

Once it was opened up, I made my own gasket, with holes port matched to the carb and intake; instead of using the oval shaped one.  No spacer for me, I need clearance for the filter.

185.thumb.JPG.657c629358cfad5012272a8b9bf52499.JPG

Time well spent, imho. 

187.thumb.JPG.c7ae6749a22d42ef1eaf9065135cd409.JPG

I also believe in smoooth air entry into the carb mouth using the stock air cleaner (which snorkels in cool air).

078.JPG

23 hours ago, Scottjeffrey said:

I am wondering as to what kind of difference is obtained, if the manifold is modified as I am thinking it ideally would be.

The Truth is in the details.

Might as well make it fit, I say.  Unless you decide not to care, that is.  Your call, of course.

Tom

• Like 1