• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Role call for non-factory turbo. Valvetrain Woot Woot!

Dudeland

I know the factory turbo came with a 121T head, with Sodium filled valves.   I read every post about Sodium valves.   Just looking for real world info.  SS is durable, just wondering if sodium is still recommended, is a nice to have, or must have.  I am looking for about 40-50K between rebuilds. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

My Audi A4 1.8T had sodium filled valves from the factory (exhaust side)

I say had because when I went to bigger valves, I went with SS valves....or maybe it was inconel, I don't remember, was a long time ago.  Definitely not sodium filled though.

If price is no object, or it's a couple bucks more, go for it, but IMHO, they're not necessary at all.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

9 hours ago, xr4tic said:

f price is no object, or it's a couple bucks more, go for it,

The OE Turbo valves are over $200. each, so you might look to the aftermarket, e.g. Supertech and others. Call the supplier and tell them your situation and ask their recommendation.

Also check the valve seats; if they have been cut several times then you will need new. Of course they are NLA as I bought the last 3 but you can have them made in the oversize. Check the Blue manual or RealOEM for the sizes, e.g. first or second oversize.