• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Static Timing ?

rcf925

I'm about ready to drop distributor in my engine after complete rebuild, I have motor at TDC right now but I'm runnung .292 cam and dual 45's on a heavily ported head. Would you drop distributor in TDC or maybe go to the ball bearing which I think is 24 Degrees BTDC. Just looking for a general idea where to locate that would be in the ballpark. It's an 002 Distributor with pertronix, Black Coil

this does not answer your question, but raises a couple others :) 

3 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

It's an 002 Distributor with pertronix, Black Coil

Resistor installed as well?  (need to have proper resistance for the Pertronix)

Have you seen the threads about trying to fit Pertronix in the 002 distributor?

Make sure the rotor is sitting low enough.  Some of the magnetic rings have a smaller ID.

Here is one of those threads

Put it in at TDC (or technically nearly TDC as I find I tweak the timing slightly when actually cranking for the first start). Once it is running set the timing with a light to whatever timing prescription you are aiming for.

Don’t bother trying to set a specific static timing point as this will ultimately be determined by where the distributor ends up following dynamically setting the timing.

Ultimately what you are interested in is where the max advance ends up. How it gets there is in the hands of the distributor (unless you can change its curve), so worry about that and then the initial timing (at idle) falls where it does. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Simeon is correct as far as the standard procedure goes: TDC static. That will get it started. However, if you eventually set for say 33 deg all in, you will end up with about 5 deg static as I recall. Idle is about 10.

Depending on distributor, less. I can only speak from my experience. Starting with TDC static, I was not getting enough total advance. By setting to +/- 33 all in, and then letting car go back to idle (600 rpm) I saw about 10 deg. So TDC will work but I'd say maybe 5 BTDC will get you closer to 35 once you get the light on it.

6 minutes ago, Hans said:

Depending on distributor, less. I can only speak from my experience. Starting with TDC static, I was not getting enough total advance. By setting to +/- 33 all in, and then letting car go back to idle (600 rpm) I saw about 10 deg. So TDC will work but I'd say maybe 5 BTDC will get you closer to 35 once you get the light on it.

Thank You