• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Wheel Paint

RFord888

Tech - You're doing great!

Originally inquired on this thread as I was painting tii steel wheels - the difference being tii steel wheels are 5 inches wide vs 4 1/2 inches wide for stock round tail light cars. (Went with Wurth and it didn't matter much as the wheels are primarily behind hubcaps) However, I also have two sets of 2002 FPS alloys: one from an original '72 and brand new ones. The new ones are a bright, almost shiny, silver while the original ones are a flat silver/gray. Mentioning this as was with three incredibly knowledgeable 02 guys last night and we were noting the difference with the cars present. (One an 02 with new wheels, the other an E9 with "coupe" wheels - the ones with hubcaps.) Point is they both looked great so go with the look you want. 

Rich

• Like 1

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

i've had pretty good results on sandblasted steel wheels, blowing with compressed air, wiping down with mineral spirits, spraying self-etching primer and then Eastwood Argent Silver wheel paint, and following up with their diamond clear satin coat. several coats of each, with light wiping with tack cloth to remove the dust if you wait too long between coats

Edited by golf73
  • Like 1

With all due respect to previous posters, if your trying to match the factory oem color , you may disappointed a too silvery appearance of most

rattle cans.

i was lucky enough to have a perfectly preserved 1972 wheel and had a professional 

match the exact color/metallic.

My dealer was able to load the product into

superior ( body shop quality) spray cans with

adjustable nozzles.

my favorite method for painting wheels is

to place them on a swiveling base and give it a spin while pulling the trigger.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

i was lucky enough to have a perfectly preserved 1972 wheel and had a professional 

match the exact color/metallic.  My dealer was able to load the product into

superior ( body shop quality) spray cans with adjustable nozzles.

Can you share this paint formula?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

13 hours ago, West Palm 2002 said:

With all due respect to previous posters, if your trying to match the factory oem color , you may disappointed a too silvery appearance of most

rattle cans.

match the exact color/metallic.

My dealer was able to load the product into

superior ( body shop quality) spray cans with

adjustable nozzles.

my favorite method for painting wheels is

to place them on a swiveling base and give it a spin while pulling the trigger.

the swiveling base is a great idea! gotta make one of those bad boyz

On 7/5/2020 at 2:08 AM, tech71 said:

I've always used Wurth silver in the past but  I'm wondering now about this Krylon dull silver mentioned, looks like it may be darker?

May be worth buying a can to find out.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the two?

I cannot offer a comparison of Wurth to Krylon, but can add that Krylon dull aluminum is nearly the same color as stock e30 bottle caps.  A while back, I had 2 really good condition e30 bottle caps with factory finish, and two that were in poor shape.  I repainted the two in poor shape with Krylon dull aluminum and clear coat, and the color was so similar, I had to rely on a few distinguishing marks (scratches, defects in the barrel paint) to tell them apart.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii