• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brakes suddenly dying??

ddletendre

STORY

So I was heading back from my job, and as I pull off, everything feels fine. 

I take a relatively "steep" downwards hill for a little while. There was a red light so I stopped, and to my surprise I had to pump brakes 2 times for it to completely stop. 

Everything is fine for like 10 seconds and out of no where the pedal starts pushing further. I was losing brakes. I pulled on the handbrake otherwise I would have ended up on the car in front of me. I got home safe. Looked everywhere around the car, no leaks. 

TL;DR

Pedal sunk to the floor while stopped on downwards hill. Feels like there may be air in the system OR brake booster issues? No leaks, no suspect sounds, nothing. Car not currently safe to drive, and really wish I can solve this fast.

Thanks!

P.S. If it gets to the point of buying a break booster, do you have any aftermarket parts suggestions that are not too expensive? Thanks again!

Your master cylinder is on its way out. I would look at that before a booster. When a booster fails it just takes a lot of pressure (from your foot) to make the car stop. A sinking pedal is a classic sign of the internal seals on the master failing.

• Like 1

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

I recently had similar issue... 

on drive to work everything seemed fine. Stopped at local coffee spot. When I pulled up to light leaving coffe shop... pedal went straight to floor. Eased to office mile or so away. No discernible leaks, but fluid was noticeably down. Add some fluid, pump pedal a few times things seem fine. Two days later front brakes are draggin like they won’t release. 

Take to local shop to use their lift and inspect... they have lift down so I leave car for them to check out. Long story short they mis diagnose clutch master and slave cylinder leaks as cause only to need master cylinder in end. Not happy but now I am ordering steel braided lines to complete my unplanned brake system upgrade.

new brake master cylinder, Clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch pipe, brake disc rotors and pads. 

Rmeuropean.com had everything I needed

Jun

Edited by Nut Dragger

On 6/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, Nut Dragger said:

I recently had similar issue... 

on drive to work everything seemed fine. Stopped at local coffee spot. When I pulled up to light leaving coffe shop... pedal went straight to floor. Eased to office mile or so away. No discernible leaks, but fluid was noticeably down. Add some fluid, pump pedal a few times things seem fine. Two days later front brakes are draggin like they won’t release. 

Take to local shop to use their lift and inspect... they have lift down so I leave car for them to check out. Long story short they mis diagnose clutch master and slave cylinder leaks as cause only to need master cylinder in end. Not happy but now I am ordering steel braided lines to complete my unplanned brake system upgrade.

new brake master cylinder, Clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, clutch pipe, brake disc rotors and pads. 

Rmeuropean.com had everything I needed

Jun

I can testify that it was a simple master cylinder issue. Just changed mine, 1.5h of work and 130 CAD for a new one (on Rockauto) and the car has never been this good!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ddletendre said:

I can testify that it was a simple master cylinder issue. Just changed mine, 1.5h of work and 130 CAD for a new one (on Rockauto) and the car has never been this good!

I wish it was simpler for me... turns out Brake/Clutch Master Cylinders, Clutch slave and clutch cylinder pipe all had minor leaks plus replaced pads and rotors.

So $600 in parts and bit more for labor... unfortunately found crack in exhaust so won’t be stomping on the binders for another week or  two. 

• Thanks 1