• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine malfunction

InkaTii

Hi. I own a 1974 tii. We did a restoration that took almost 6 years. The engine was rebuilt and the kugelfischer and injectors were reconstructed by Guss pfister. The car have been working but not great.
Here’s a video of the engine at idle.

Some ideas?

Thanks.

Hi Inka Tii,
When I hear your motorsound, the mix air gasoiline is too poor (lambda 1,2 or higher) or one of the cilinders did not get enough. Unequalled with the others. Nothing with misfire.
Succes
Maarten

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hi Inka Tii,
When I hear your motorsound, the mix air gasoiline is too poor (lambda 1,2 or higher) or one of the cilinders did not get enough. Unequalled with the others. Nothing with misfire.
Succes
Maarten

Hi. I live in Colombia, and here this is one of only 3 tii’s and nobody really knows how to work on them. I took the pump and injectors to mr Pfister and he gave me the instructions to set it up. But I’m not the most expert in this work and the people I hire tend to relay more in their feelings that In the instructions, that are in English. Jajaja

The last mechanic finally made it work with a little rough idle, and he blamed the pump and I’m really reluctant for him to touch it.

I did thought that the very old fuel pump could be a cause and I bought it new, with the expansion tank, but it’s still on my desk. The injectors were blamed before and I bought other 2 used sets and nobody is sure if they work fine or not. I spoke today with my first shop and they would take it to the diesel lab to test them. (This was done once before).

I hope that the problem is in the running, I read in some other post that the pump could be one teeth late or maybe is that we never made the tools to tune the pump that mr Pfister insisted. Basically for the stubborn mechanic I’ve dealt with.

Thank for your time.

And I’m going to buy the cables that are old.

BMW 2002 Tii euro 1974, 5 speed "dog leg".

• 3 weeks later...

Your challenge is uneven output in Gasoline or benzin. It could happen when injectors do mot have the correct pressure. Should be ca 38 bar, and under the 29 the motor runs instabile. Also the output of the kufi pumpf could be uneven, it could be one of the outlet valve. When the inlet valve of the kufi pumpf has a failure you could have also such challenge.

What you can do is to contact German guys like Richard Jacobs (he can restore injectors) and has in his network persons who restored the kufi pumpf with the original BMW specifications.
Also you can contact in the USA Jeff Hecox.

Look at FB to BMW 02 garage. I think you can find Jeff Hecox on FB.

I have experience with a slide throttle body (Schrick or Schnitzer system) on a 2002tii. Living in Holland, Europe

I had a similar idle issue. The issue was fouled plugs due to a rich condition. Cleaned the plugs, added O2 sensor and properly tuned the car. Now runs better than it has since I’ve owned it. Now Idles smooth.

• Like 2

I had a similar idle issue. The issue was fouled plugs due to a rich condition. Cleaned the plugs, added O2 sensor and properly tuned the car. Now runs better than it has since I’ve owned it. Now Idles smooth.

Yes I confirmed that this will can help.

Your challenge is uneven output in Gasoline or benzin. It could happen when injectors do mot have the correct pressure. Should be ca 38 bar, and under the 29 the motor runs instabile. Also the output of the kufi pumpf could be uneven, it could be one of the outlet valve. When the inlet valve of the kufi pumpf has a failure you could have also such challenge.

What you can do is to contact German guys like Richard Jacobs (he can restore injectors) and has in his network persons who restored the kufi pumpf with the original BMW specifications.
Also you can contact in the USA Jeff Hecox.

Look at FB to BMW 02 garage. I think you can find Jeff Hecox on FB.

I have experience with a slide throttle body (Schrick or Schnitzer system) on a 2002tii. Living in Holland, Europe

Hi. Thanks, the pump and injectors were recently rebuilded by Guss Pfister.

Hi. Thanks, the pump and injectors were recently rebuilded by Guss Pfister.

Hi Inka Tii
When you kufi pumpf and injectors are rebuild with original BMW specifications try out the tuning again with a bit richer composition of gasoline approx. 3.5-4.5 co. Check also everything on leaking air or gasoline. Also you can do to put a lambda measurement per cilinder. One is not working correct, too poor. Succes

Hi Inka Tii
When you kufi pumpf and injectors are rebuild with original BMW specifications try out the tuning again with a bit richer composition of gasoline approx. 3.5-4.5 co. Check also everything on leaking air or gasoline. Also you can do to put a lambda measurement per cilinder. One is not working correct, too poor. Succes

Excuse me the ignorance. How can I run a bit richer with the tuba can screw?

Thanks.

Excuse me the ignorance. How can I run a bit richer with the tuba can screw?

Thanks.
Turn back the screw 1, if it's correct the motor will run more equal, the screw 2 is to bring the motor back to 950 rpm. Then it could be that the motor runs again unequal. You have to repeat til the motor will run equal on 950 rpm. Succes5b81237d6ee765ab8139ae56cc18fbc1.jpg

Turn back the screw 1, if it's correct the motor will run more equal, the screw 2 is to bring the motor back to 950 rpm. Then it could be that the motor runs again unequal. You have to repeat til the motor will run equal on 950 rpm. Succes5b81237d6ee765ab8139ae56cc18fbc1.jpg&key=c481ee7473c3e149c274659ad84862d6c45d3fc9e541e7107cb3bc68cff1f291

Better to do this with the engine hot or cold?

Thanks

Hot, always hot to tune the tii.

Please get a wideband oxygen (o2) sensor.  This is one of the tools you will need to tune the car.

At what elevation are you in Colombia?

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I'm at around 5000 feet.  You might be able to make the car work, but you need an oxygen sensor and you need to set it up properly.

I believe that if you pull the spark plugs out, even just one of them, they will be very black with soot from running too rich / with too much gasoline.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

On 6/9/2019 at 9:18 AM, InkaTii said:

When it’s working like this you can take the third cilinder cable and it doesn’t change.

Then most likely it is not at first an injection problem. Try unscrewing the brown insulator on #3 and see if it or the wire is corroded. You can cut off a few mm to get to better wire and then screw the insulator back on.

Check as above that there is no moisture, particularly water in the space around the spark plugs.

Check for cracked or broken (brown) insulators......sometimes you can get arcing to the head not allowing the plug to fire. And the end or the wire at the distributor cap for proper fit.

Is your cap cracked or the internal electrodes corroded or badly carbon arced?

Check your point gap / Dwell and timing if possible.

As far as the installation of the pump and initial settings, download the Kugelfischer pump guide. You can make the tool for the Warm Up Regulator setting and just measure the length of the linkage to get a starting point.

Did you have Gus rebuild your injectors? Did he provide data?

HTH

• 1 month later...