• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the headlight buckets the same?

Like @mvliotta said - the side hole differentiates them from one another. The center inserts themselves are not-handed.

In the image below, driver side on the right and passenger on the left. Notice the driver side hole for the grill clamp has more space when compared to that of the passenger side (which is very close as shown below).

Both.JPG

Driver-side.JPG

Pass-side.JPG

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
sp
  • Like 2

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

4 minutes ago, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

Like @mvliotta said - the side hole differentiates them from one another. The center inserts themselves are not-handed.

In the image below, driver side on the right and passenger on the left. Notice the driver side hole for the grill clamp has more space when compared to that of the passenger side (which is very close as shown below).

Thanks Rodolfo - if the hole is for the grill clamp then it makes which side is which definitive. Mikes approach was a bit different, so thought to check.

They’re not hard to switch but with this resto coming to an end and with all the work done to date, the less I do things twice the better 👍

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 7:47 AM, Rodolfo Lasparri said:

Both.JPG

Driver-side.JPG

Pass-side.JPG

I’ve had a look at how the grill is secured and on reflection, I can’t see how that hole on the side of bucket comes into play.

The little threaded hook (from the grill securing set) hooks onto the the grill (black plastic in my case) via the curved end and then goes straight toward the back of the car (direction) through the hole in the backing panel to the buckets and is secured in place with the plastic nut the other side of that backing panel. 

That’s factory as I understand it and on all the 02’s over here I’ve seen. 

2 minutes ago, zambo said:

I’ve had a look at how the grill is secured and on reflection, I can’t see how that hole on the side of bucket comes into play.

The little threaded hook (from the grill securing set) hooks onto the the grill (black plastic in my case) via the curved end and then goes straight toward the back of the car (direction) through the hole in the backing panel to the buckets and is secured in place with the plastic nut the other side of that backing panel. 

That’s factory as I understand it and on all the 02’s over here I’ve seen. 

You're correct, that hole on the bucket has nothing to do with grille attachment.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

2 hours ago, bergie33 said:

You're correct, that hole on the bucket has nothing to do with grille attachment.

Thanks Karl. I put them in that way as it’s as good a place as any to start and it’s only 8 nuts to change over if the alignment of the lights once installed, isn’t correct. You’d think BMW to differentiate would have simply put an “L” or “R” as you see on other parts … such as the tail light bulb holder assembly on a roundie. 

4 minutes ago, zambo said:

Thanks Karl. I put them in that way as it’s as good a place as any to start and it’s only 8 nuts to change over if the alignment of the lights once installed, isn’t correct. You’d think BMW to differentiate would have simply put an “L” or “R” as you see on other parts … such as the tail light bulb holder assembly on a roundie. 

I mean, if those holes also serves as an indicator as to what is left and right, then that's much easier.  

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

They for sure are an indicator of the correct way to identify each side. I was mistaken on the grill hooks as those are on the car side and not the bucket themselves. 

Edited by Rodolfo Lasparri
Sp
  • Like 1

1973 2002tii Taiga, 2763376 

1969 2002 Chamonix, 1666774

After installing my new Koito H4's, I was having trouble getting them to sit correctly while adjusting them.  Went back and checked the holes, sure enough, the buckets were installed wrong.  Swapped them and everything it good.  The "holes" for the win.

Mark92131

• Like 3

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)