• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needle in Haystack - 1970 2002 Alpina

grbbenny

2 minutes ago, ray_ said:

...I wonder if he is a person of interest here....

LMAO!

(Does that mean I’ve watched far too many cop shows? ?)

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

8 hours ago, grbbenny said:

Added the car to the Registry. The magic required to add more than one photo escapes me - they are there when I hit Save on the Registry entry but do not survive the journey to the site.

Graham,

I’ve had this issue recently as well. Since I couldn’t solve the actual issue, I copied the same photos into the next comment post for the car, and the photos actually appeared there.  (Stated differently, the photos are copied to both the initial entry and a subsequent comment post, but only the photos linked to the comment post actually appear.)

I thought it was just me.... but maybe there’s a quirk in the system, since the advent of the “photo swipe” feature?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

On 6/3/2019 at 5:44 PM, Conserv said:

The left car, the ti, has Campagnolo’s. This particular model, in a 4x100 PCD, was available in a 7” width, and a rarer 5 1/2” width. The front rim certainly looks like a 5 1/2” version, but the rear rim seems to have a bit more dish, although I can’t imagine it’s a 7” version, based on the inset of the tire from the fender lip.

Direct comparison  7" (silver)  5,5 inch (ivory)

IMG_0487_k.jpg

IMG_3235_k.JPG

Edited by uai
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, uai said:

Direct comparison  7" (silver)  5,5 inch (ivory)

IMG_0487_k.jpg

IMG_3235_k.JPG

Oh my!  Who paints one of the rarest Campagnolo rims ivory? ?

Please tell me, Uli, that it was that way when you bought it! ??

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

On 6/3/2019 at 2:22 PM, a2keith said:

Hey folks -

I'm the guy who got the Alpina from Tony's brother - I think this was around 1994.  

It went to a physician on the east coast who bought it (I'm not kidding) because his little daughter liked the color.  

Keith

AD1.jpg

Keith, no chance of digging up the good doctor's name from your files or memory bank?

Edited by grbbenny
I am illiterate.

The east coast guy bought the car long enough ago that our correspondence was all by snail mail, so I don't have any contact info; can't even remember his name.  If my impression was right, he wasn't really a 2002 enthusiast; he just kind of bought the car on a whim.  And if I'm right about that, there's not much of a chance that he's been on the forum.  I suppose it's likely that he's sold it by now, but you'd think whoever ended up with it knew what a special car it was.  Perhaps the 5th or 6th owner will hear about this thread somehow...

Keith

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, a2keith said:

The east coast guy bought the car long enough ago that our correspondence was all by snail mail, so I don't have any contact info; can't even remember his name.  If my impression was right, he wasn't really a 2002 enthusiast; he just kind of bought the car on a whim.  And if I'm right about that, there's not much of a chance that he's been on the forum.  I suppose it's likely that he's sold it by now, but you'd think whoever ended up with it knew what a special car it was.  Perhaps the 5th or 6th owner will hear about this thread somehow...

Keith

Any chance you remember what state he was in? Someone in the local BMWCCA chapter might remember the car, at least seeing it on the road.

I found the original owner of my formerly owned tii just by googleing his name.

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

So, who is going to peruse stacks and stacks of old Bav Autosport catalogs to try to find that little picture of the Alpina that MIGHT have had a note about the owner? Any hoarders out there who kept them for reasons I can't fathom?  That might be our only hope....

2 minutes ago, mongo3251 said:

So, who is going to peruse stacks and stacks of old Bav Autosport catalogs to try to find that little picture of the Alpina that MIGHT have had a note about the owner? Any hoarders out there who kept them for reasons I can't fathom?  That might be our only hope....

I spent a little time on Google the other day on this topic - I could not find an archive of photos and the recent demise of BavAuto really complicates things. Does anyone have a contact for one of the principals/owners of BavAuto that we could speak with regarding sourcing their photo archive. Not that your average small business has anything remotely resembling an 'archive'!

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding Andreas Harz comment about my car:  I have a letter from Alpina Classic stating that the car "was converted in our house, US Chassis 1676010, delivery 07/1970."  I also have a similar letter to what Andreas quoted, from BMW Group Classic, saying the car "was manufactured on June 23rd, 1970 and delivered on July 02nd to the BMW dealer Bovensiepen in Kaufbeuren.  The original color was Chamonix, paint code 085. The car was equipped with a sliding/vent roof.  We hope this information is helpful for you.  Yours sincerely, Julia Oberndorfer."

Ray King

• Like 1

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

14 hours ago, skyking96w said:

Regarding Andreas Harz comment about my car:  I have a letter from Alpina Classic stating that the car "was converted in our house, US Chassis 1676010, delivery 07/1970."  I also have a similar letter to what Andreas quoted, from BMW Group Classic, saying the car "was manufactured on June 23rd, 1970 and delivered on July 02nd to the BMW dealer Bovensiepen in Kaufbeuren.  The original color was Chamonix, paint code 085. The car was equipped with a sliding/vent roof.  We hope this information is helpful for you.  Yours sincerely, Julia Oberndorfer."

Ray King

And I highly recommend that anyone whoever thought “Wouldn’t it be great to own an Alpina-prepped car... “ visit the Registry entry for VIN 1676010. Just WOW! Every cool option you ever wanted. The final price was double the base ‘02’s price.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1