• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

replacement of shift lever bushings on 5-speed

Our '71 has come out of storage (9 years) and with some work is running fine - except the bushings on the shift lever are shot.  This is a 5-speed out of a 3-series (which is absolutely wonderful on the freeways!) Haven't been able to find any info on changing them out, but looking for advice on the repairs.  Do I need to drop the transmission or at least tilt it back a ways to be able to get at it?  Any info welcome.  Thanks  Frank

Mr. Car photo.jpg

Please clarify as to the bushings you need to replace--are these the ones in the shift lever itself, the ones where the base of the lever meets the shift rod that comes out of the tranny, or the bushings that mount the shift platform to the tranny.  

If it's the shift lever itself, it's most likely identical to the ones on a 2002, as the mechanism is simply a shortened 2002 shift platform assembly.  You'll need to determine if you have the earlier style fork-and-blade setup at the shift lever's base, or the later peg and hole setup, and order the bushing kit from Blunt.  It can be done with the tranny in the car; you'll be replacing bits from inside the car as well as from underneath.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I can’t tell exactly what’s involved in refurbing your shifter without seeing exactly what type it is but I can tell you:

1) You don’t need to drop the transmission 

2) You don’t NEED to drop the drive shaft from the back of the gearbox but it will definitely help in terms of clearance. 

3) If you can get a photo of your shifter arrangement and send it to Blunt, he can send you back a kit of parts to fix it up. 

4) replace the bushes in the linkage that would let the gear stick lose motion plus any rubber bushes that may be shot due to oil etc. 

5) Think about swapping out the rear gearbox mount for the larger 3 series style of it hasn’t been already. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Thank you for the info.  Here are two photos from underneath, showing the over-all area of the back of transmission including the rear cross support bolted to a pair of angle iron pieces running lengthwise, with the vertical shift lever just showing at the upper right.  The other photos shows a closeup of the bottom of the shift lever coming down and the rod to the transmission with it's fork - and no signs of the bushings. 

20190523_131220.thumb.jpg.9e5142d4ad6367974a3814d28a492299.jpg

20190523_131149.thumb.jpg.dc783abe299b97726823745462423a24.jpg

My first guess was that it looked like at least the driveline would have to dropped as it is pretty tight up there.  With what is noted above, now I have a much better idea of what to do. 

Who is Bllunt - haven't run across that name. 

And while I'm in there I had probably figure what other shift parts to replace.

Thanks for the help

Frank

That looks like an ‘early’ shift rod to me due to the grub screw on the back of the stick holding the horizontal pin in place. 

This post contains a common diagram around these parts showing what you what you need to rebuild your shifter. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I just noticed in the pics that the shortened shift platform on this 5-speed conversion doesn't have any kind of brace on it.  Most conversions provide some kind of bracing to stabilize the platform. 

Maybe you removed the brace to gain access?

It's got Toby's preferred older style shift rod ?

Which must have been shortened for the 5-speed? I originally thought I was looking at a 4-speed...

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Thank you all for the comments.  I have been away from the '02 for a while and have to get my mind warped around it again.  All the suggestions are much appreciated along with the information, and yes, the tranny could probably use a seal.  I have a whole list of parts and pieces to order to get this car properly back on the road, along with some body work that needs to be done to fix damage that has disintegrated from the car being rear-ended almost 20 years ago. 

20190514_162106.thumb.jpg.a961e41d04f845759c30f048cb9ce6a2.jpg

I appreciate the info in the articles and blogs on this forum - very useful.  "Mr Car" will appreciate it also.  We bought Mr Car about 25 years ago when our daughters were in high school and the advantage of owning a unique car in a small town became obvious - everyone knew where our kids were and would report back to us.!   (They gave it the name)  The girls still joke about it - and love the car so much that they would not want us to get rid of it!  One daughter is a gear-head and even owns an '95 840ci.

Thanks again

Frank

• Like 1