• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flywheel min thickness

So I’ve read a couple of posts about the clutch rubbing the flywheel bolts if the flywheel thickness is less than 14.5mm. I just had mine machined and I measure 14mm with two different spacers to read the raised area. Do I really need to get a new flywheel with being 0.5mm short?

This car is starting to make me crazy.

Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was the one having issues. I found the following in another thread. So I'll leave it up to you as to the integrity of the flywheel. As for rubbing, you can tell by installing the flywheel and holding the clutch disc up to it. You will be able to feel if it is hitting. I put the alignment tool in and turned the disc a little bit and could feel it hitting. As I said, mine measured 11mm so it was quite thin, but also, the springs seem to stick out of the disc further than they used to so it's hard to say.

Image-1.thumb.jpeg.a5cd8853fbb7c8cf9c00a860d241a06c.jpeg

Ya, I put the clutch disc up against the flywheel and put a bolt in dry to see how much room there was btw the end of the bolt and the clutch disc spring (thickest point). It rattled around about a 1/8-1/4". Question would be if when the release bearing slides against the sprongs as I like to call them, does it compress the clutch disc inwards to touch the bolts? Wouldn't think so.

Roman

36 minutes ago, roman.lysiak said:

Question would be if when the release bearing slides against the sprongs as I like to call them, does it compress the clutch disc inwards to touch the bolts?

No but when the pedal is released the disc is compressed a bit by the pressure plate. I would think that you have enouch clearance but when the disc will wear the center will go closer and eventually when worn out a contact can be made. I would not be worried. Once I had a pretty tight fit with a copper race disc and I sanded down the flywheel bolt heads for a millimeter.

Tommy

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Of the two options, modifying the bolt heads is probably less dangerous.

However, you can do a quick test and bolt up the clutch assembly with a couple

of flywheel bolts in there, under the sprongs.   Then just move the bolts to see

how much clearance you have.  I would posit that by far the safest thing to do

is let the heads hit the springs, especially if it's just a wear clearance concern.

Modifying that part of the flywheel or the bolts is tickling the dragon just a bit.

Also, there are several generations of bolts, and I seem to recall there are different

head thicknesses out there.  There are certainly different lengths...

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I’m of the mindset of TobyB. It is a LESS risky option. Flywheel failures, while uncommon, turn out very badly if they do happen.....for the car and your feet. There’s a reason my drag car has an unreasonably expensive scattershield around the clutch. You may be fine, and I’m sure others will chime in that they were fine. It’s all about the amount of risk YOU are comfortable with.