• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone in San Diego area????

inkatouring

There's a tii I'm considering in the area and would like a set of eyes on it sometime soon, maybe this weekend?  Since I'm in the SF Bay Area and busy this weekend, that's difficult for me.  There's beer (or wine, your choice) in it for you!

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Is that the Fjord Tii at Bavarian Rennsport in Ramona?  I tried to buy it from Bill Holmes' customer before they started restoring it mechanically.  Pretty solid car, just needed paint and trim refresh to be a very nice driver.

Mark92131

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/poway-2002-tii/6824034666.html

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

12 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

Is that the Fjord Tii at Bavarian Rennsport in Ramona?  I tried to buy it from Bill Holmes' customer before they started restoring it mechanically.  Pretty solid car, just needed paint and trim refresh to be a very nice driver.

Mark92131

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/poway-2002-tii/6824034666.html

It is that one (and thank you for posting in the classifieds).  Do you know what mechanical restoration they did?  Rust?

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

4 hours ago, inkatouring said:

Do you know what mechanical restoration they did?

I saw the car before Bill started going through it.  I asked him what the plan was for the car and he said he was waiting on the customer to decide what he was going to do.  I don't remember it having the 5 speed, so that might be new.  In fact I sold Bill one of my 5 speeds, so it might have ended up in that car.  When Bill works on cars, he pretty much fixes everything he doesn't like and begs forgiveness after.  I usually put him on a fixed budget and tell him to call me if he finds something that would put him over.  I suspect that the customer had him go through the car and fix everything mechanical.  When I saw it, it didn't have any typical rust issues (rockers, shock towers, panels), and was hoping I could get it cheap and restore it.  Apparently, that ship has sailed.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

37 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

was hoping I could get it cheap and restore it.  Apparently, that ship has sailed.

Mark92131

I'm not sure what is cheap for a decent tii now adays.  The more I think about the car (and my lack of garage space) the less it makes sense.....

Edited by inkatouring

23 hours ago, inkatouring said:

I'm not sure what is cheap for a decent tii now adays.

I think it is fairly priced for a mechanically sorted, non-rusty tii.  When I saw it, I was thinking under $10K, not $18K.  I spent about $10K on the restoration of my 75 and was thinking anything under $10K would put me above water at the end.

Mark92131

00x0x_hqh4aUWkhkP_600x450.jpg

2017-01-06 16.20.58.jpg

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)