• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found some Alpina / Borrani bi-metallic wheels

mvliotta

1 hour ago, Touring Alpina said:

The Borrani sticker is the right one. This is what Borrani told me: "We have only 2 classic logos: Prior of 1960 with Carlo Borrani SpA, after with Ruote Borrani-Milano". Borrani sent me graciously OEM stickers. Those guys are top notch.
I will buy the proper Alpina Center Cap.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks, Philip, for checking with Borrani on the stickers!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

as I own a set of those Alpina / Borrani R1/508 wheels for a couple of days i just wanted to share a little of knowledge about the wheels with you!
The very first appearance of those wheels are is in a german car magazine called "powerslide" in June 1969, and also in june 1969 in an itallian Magazin calles "auto ittaliana". Both seem to show the same car, a granada red 2l car with the registration KF-N 999. A little later, in december 1969 the wheels can also be seen in Motorrundschau on a probabaly colorado or inka collered 2002ti, with the registration "KF-N-10".
All pre 69 magazines, like auto motor & sport in Novemeber 68, or Rallye&Racing in december showing a car with the registration KF-R 11, or the 1,6l Car with the registration KF-N 999 always with Minilites or CMR Steelweheels.
So obviously, Alpina startet selling those Borrani Bimetallic Wheels around early to mid 1969! The Brochure picture showing all the car parts in front of the colorado/black racingcar also dates 1969, the 67 and 68 version of this pictures still shows the minilites as lightweight wheels for the 1600-2 / 2002.
In 1970 Alpina startet developing their own lightweight wheels whith building three-part magnesium wheels with the iconic 20-spoke design for racing cars (untill 1970 the used three-part limmer magnesium wheels on them).
In 1971 Alpina brought their own 20 spoke Alloy wheels in different sizes to marked, starting at 5,5x13". From this Moment on there was no need to sell the Borrani R1/508 Bimetallic ones anymore!
In fact the Borrani R1/508 Bimetallic Wheels were only two years available from Mid 1969 to Mid 1971! So period correct the only suit a first generation 02 car (with chrome bumpers and no rubber-lines on the doors) and never a Touring (because when the touring came to marked, Alpina allready had their own 20-spoke alloys).

And one more fact: the development of the Alpina Logo happend like this:

The very first version was the regualar BMW Logo, just Adding "ALPINA" on the lower black area. This might be around 1965.

1967: black roundel with ALPINA and a blue white rhombus in the inner area, this logo was banned by BMW with it's introduction at the IAA 1967 (this Logo can still be found on some Borrani Spokewheels  for th 2000CS!)

1968: Introduction of the typical Alpina logo in it's first version, showing a Weber Carburetor and a camshaft

1971: revision, now still with the carburetor but with a crankshaft on the right

1974: secend revision, now with singlethottle and crankshaft.

Due to theese facts, the Borrani R1/508 wheels allways came with the first logo with carbs and camshaft! Everything else is just a replacement or reproduction!

I hope to help a little!

Best from Munich Germany!

Michel

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Alpina-A0 said:

Hi everybody,

as I own a set of those Alpina / Borrani R1/508 wheels for a couple of days i just wanted to share a little of knowledge about the wheels with you!
The very first appearance of those wheels are is in a german car magazine called "powerslide" in June 1969, and also in june 1969 in an itallian Magazin calles "auto ittaliana". Both seem to show the same car, a granada red 2l car with the registration KF-N 999. A little later, in december 1969 the wheels can also be seen in Motorrundschau on a probabaly colorado or inka collered 2002ti, with the registration "KF-N-10".
All pre 69 magazines, like auto motor & sport in Novemeber 68, or Rallye&Racing in december showing a car with the registration KF-R 11, or the 1,6l Car with the registration KF-N 999 always with Minilites or CMR Steelweheels.
So obviously, Alpina startet selling those Borrani Bimetallic Wheels around early to mid 1969! The Brochure picture showing all the car parts in front of the colorado/black racingcar also dates 1969, the 67 and 68 version of this pictures still shows the minilites as lightweight wheels for the 1600-2 / 2002.
In 1970 Alpina startet developing their own lightweight wheels whith building three-part magnesium wheels with the iconic 20-spoke design for racing cars (untill 1970 the used three-part limmer magnesium wheels on them).
In 1971 Alpina brought their own 20 spoke Alloy wheels in different sizes to marked, starting at 5,5x13". From this Moment on there was no need to sell the Borrani R1/508 Bimetallic ones anymore!
In fact the Borrani R1/508 Bimetallic Wheels were only two years available from Mid 1969 to Mid 1971! So period correct the only suit a first generation 02 car (with chrome bumpers and no rubber-lines on the doors) and never a Touring (because when the touring came to marked, Alpina allready had their own 20-spoke alloys).

And one more fact: the development of the Alpina Logo happend like this:

The very first version was the regualar BMW Logo, just Adding "ALPINA" on the lower black area. This might be around 1965.

1967: black roundel with ALPINA and a blue white rhombus in the inner area, this logo was banned by BMW with it's introduction at the IAA 1967 (this Logo can still be found on some Borrani Spokewheels  for th 2000CS!)

1968: Introduction of the typical Alpina logo in it's first version, showing a Weber Carburetor and a camshaft

1971: revision, now still with the carburetor but with a crankshaft on the right

1974: secend revision, now with singlethottle and crankshaft.

Due to theese facts, the Borrani R1/508 wheels allways came with the first logo with carbs and camshaft! Everything else is just a replacement or reproduction!

I hope to help a little!

Best from Munich Germany!

Michel

This is very helpful, indeed, Michel,

As you’ll see in the following entry in this forum’s Wheels Database, I believe the rims first appeared as early as November 1, 1967, at the 49th Salone Internazionale dell’ Automobile in Torino (the two samples are painted “lively” blue and purple colors, as shown in the attached photo).

But let me also note these rims were not solely distributed by Alpina. They came in different widths, different offsets (ET), and different bolt patterns (PCD). It is possible that Alpina’s marketing of the rims did not start until 1969. But the style of rim was in production by CMR (Borrani is a division of CMR) since 1967, at least.

I’d like to go through your posting in detail and, with your permission, add any new material to the Wheels Database entry. I have previously posted photos, in the Wheels Database entry, of the December 1969 Motor Rundschau article and an undated Auto Italiana article — I have only the article, not the entire magazine.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

442F5D07-8F90-407A-A67F-218846AF4B75.jpeg

Hi Steve,
shure, Borrane ssemd to intrroduce the wheel as "Dial 8" in 1967. What I meant: ist was distibuted by Alpina just between mid 69 to mid 71!
The "Auto Italia" Article you mentioned is the one that I can date with june 1969!
Attached the probably most detailed picture from the period, taken from the Book "So wird er schneller" (this is how it gets faster) from 1970, and the article from "powerslide" from june 1969.

However: this wheel just matches a pre 71 car perfectly!

Best
Michael

IMG_7934.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

Alpina_Testbericht_Powerslide_Jun_1969-1.pdf

• Thanks 2

Oh good, that will be easy to find (he says sarcastically). 

Michael, I have been trying to research the first Alpina shift knob. Do you have a picture? I assume it would have the carburetor emblem?

I have only seen Alpina shift knobs with the newer throttle bodies logo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpina-A0 said:

Hi Steve,
shure, Borrane ssemd to intrroduce the wheel as "Dial 8" in 1967. What I meant: ist was distibuted by Alpina just between mid 69 to mid 71!
The "Auto Italia" Article you mentioned is the one that I can date with june 1969!
Attached the probably most detailed picture from the period, taken from the Book "So wird er schneller" (this is how it gets faster) from 1970, and the article from "powerslide" from june 1969.

However: this wheel just matches a pre 71 car perfectly!

Best
Michael

IMG_7934.jpg

IMG_7935.jpg

Alpina_Testbericht_Powerslide_Jun_1969-1.pdf 5.24 MB · 11 downloads

Thank you, Michael,

Great stuff!

Regards,

Steve