• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator - High Flow Mod for AC

BK02M5

Awhile back, we had a 3 row core radiator made which helped cooling but really was not sufficient for FL with ac in traffic.  Thanks to the inputs on this board, I went with the Wallothnesch high flow which improved cooling dramatically. Then I wanted to fix my AC and installed a new rotary compressor.  Lower radiator hose is real close to the ac compressor after trimming the hose.  With some flex in the motor mounts, the lower hose was starting to get pulley marks in it.    I mocked up an angled lower fitting and took it to a local radiator shop who cut and welded the fitting.  Result was excellent with a good 1" of clearance to the ac compressor pulley.   Here are a couple pics of the radiator including one showing clearance in the car with no hoses on.  Also a pic of the car.   Plan to go for a drive today!

398196933_RadMod2a.thumb.jpg.82bc75b3964fd46fbed00451230fa8b8.jpg1317660989_RadModa.thumb.jpg.237b893155b27f0a8788eb72fd2baaad.jpg1581573462_RadACClearancea.thumb.jpg.2657ccba87bf2afa39ee788a3920acc3.jpgP1010009a.jpg.4a9eca38cf478bbd4c211d71b014ed28.jpg

• Like 3

Had a similar issue. Bought the high efficiency W&N radiator. It obviously isn't set up for AC.   Didn't have the resources at the time to plumb the lower outlet like above. Some have used a different hose (Ala Rob Siegel-Hackmechanic) to get around the AC compressor issue as well. Later model radiators had the outlet come out the side, as the US dealers complained about the difficulty of adding AC. 

I went with the IE aluminum radiator. Lower outlet is plumbed for AC. The radiator is a bit thick so I am having issues running a mechanical fan. It appears adding AC just adds some levels of complexity with a radiator.

I am holding on to my W&N radiator, and may take it to a shop to have it plumbed like above or have the outlet changed (if possible) to come out the side if I run into cooling issues.  

I am not sure,  but think the E21 radiators are supposed to be efficient and work well with AC. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

+1

I, likewise, installed a W&N radiator in the ‘76 after the original radiator’s top tank — re-cored in 1981, triple-cored in 2012, started springing pinhole leaks everywhere. But, since the ‘76’s original radiator was already of the angled-lower-hose-outlet style, and had brackets for the original fan shroud, we moved both the lower hose outlet and the shroud brackets to the new W&N radiator. I’m happy with this solution although I had to give up original upper and lower tanks... ?

Regards,

Steve

5F1BA97D-D236-4597-A6ED-44079DB5B1E2.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 year later...

I am finally getting to finishing my 1974 2002 rebuild. I purchased the AC bracket from Hobie Dave, and that works fine.

I also purchased a new high flow radiator from Wallothnesch, with a straight bottom hose fitting and, as other have found out, I am having trouble fitting the lower radiator hose that clears both the Sanden 508 AC compressor and the larger 400 mm fan.

Any suggestions? I am hoping that there a specific hose that solves this problem and someone will send me the part number?

I saw that someone took there radiator to a shop and added an cooper angle section to the bottom radiator pipe, but not something I want to do.

Michael Baiada, 303-521-6047

55 minutes ago, RMBaiada said:

I am finally getting to finishing my 1974 2002 rebuild. I purchased the AC bracket from Hobie Dave, and that works fine.

I also purchased a new high flow radiator from Wallothnesch, with a straight bottom hose fitting and, as other have found out, I am having trouble fitting the lower radiator hose that clears both the Sanden 508 AC compressor and the larger 400 mm fan.

Any suggestions? I am hoping that there a specific hose that solves this problem and someone will send me the part number?

I saw that someone took there radiator to a shop and added an cooper angle section to the bottom radiator pipe, but not something I want to do.

Michael Baiada, 303-521-6047

Leaky old ‘02 radiators are a dime a dozen. Find one with mashed fins or an obvious leak. Buy it for $25, or free. Having a radiator shop move the angled, outboard lower hose fitting from an old lower tank to the new W&N radiator was $40. The W&N HD radiator blows away every radiator core I’ve had in 47 years of ‘02-ing. And... it looks just like a stock radiator. You can continue to use the standard hose. You’ve already bought a W&N HD radiator. It’s out of the car. It’s ready for cutting and soldering! You’re just one junked radiator and $40 from the best all-around ‘02 radiator solution.

My thoughts! ?

Regards,

Steve

CE24DEC9-FDC0-4E88-B24F-BDCE5802D4C7.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 months later...