• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal and painting of red bezel off instrument cluster

frached

Hello All-  I looked through some of the history and threads but could not find any instructions on how to remove only the red bezel from the cluster. How do I remove the bezel only from the gauge cluster? Do I remove the 8 screws on the back of the cluster to get it off or does it just pop off? 

Also, any help with the correct red  color code would be great!  Thanks!

Remove screws at back, remove the instruments, there's a round metal bezel that locates the glass and locks the red face. Twist those bezels to disengage.. remove glass pieces (note not all glass/bezel are identical). Then lift out the red face piece.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

I cant remember...i recall it was a struggle to get it apart...but cant remember exactly why..

on earlier cars there is no 'faceplate' to the cluster, just a silver plastic ring around each instrument... in this earlier thread you can see how the metal bezel rings have 'ramps' which lock the plastic tabs of the silver plastic trim rings:

On the faceplate cars (red faceplate or wood-effect) the plastic tabs are now on the back of the faceplate, protruding through the 3 big holes and locked by the metal bezels in the same way.

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

• 1 year later...