• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions for Experts

Hello Turbo Experts-

Real close to wrapping up the deal in Europe. The car I am looking at has foam on the underside of the hood above the engine. Is that correct? 

Also, do any of you know what color seam sealer the factory used on the rear shock towers? Small chip in the paint where the shock tower meets the trunk indicates a yellow beige underneath. 

Much thanks- Fares

I am the second owner of my car and it did not come with foam under the hood. That doesn't mean it didn't come with it, it just means that after over 100K Km, it wasn't on the car nor was there evidence of it.

Perhaps the underhood temperatures are too much for the open cell foam. Remember that the ducting in the front air dam blows up past the Turbo and manifold to the hood.

I have been looking as of late at the seam sealer in the front wheel wells. It is grey. I bought Wurth brand in both the Schutz spray (or you can brush it)  and tube.

BTW did they come with the fiberboard cards on the side of the trunk? Mine did not.

I was not the first one to paint the hood on my car but I did not seen any signs that there had ever been any foam on the inside ( so I did not put any on my car).  I don't believe I have ever seen an original picture of the under side of a Turbo hood that did have foam. 

I have never seen a turbo with the fiberboard cards on the sides of the trunk either. 

There is even evidence that the floorboards in the trunk did not have the Elephant Skin covering and were just painted grey,  This is open for debate and I decided that I would rather have the Elephant Skin,  the raw painted wood looks unfinished.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

My floor boards are painted grey and elephant skin only on the corners of the wheel wells where it meets the metal trunk floor. I do have a "foam" floor mat that covers the floor boards and is long enough to fit into the space at the back of the seat. It too is mottled grey w/ white specks and looks similar to the carpet.

I think it depends on whether the cars were restored. The foam above looks new, which is unlike OE foam of yesteryear, it's too nice and crisp.

I went into my archives and looked for unrestored cars, but alas, most pictures do not show the hood. I did find a picture I took in Italy at the Auto Moda de Epicoa in 2010, which was for sale for Euro 32,000.. #0076, did not have foam, but did have the hood uprights painted flat black behind the grill.

I wouldn't let hood foam detract you from your purchase, nor if it has a floor mat in the trunk.

Take your time and figure out whether turbos came from the factory with underhood insulation. There are comprehensive factory photos of tii's, tourings, etc. It's hard to imagine there aren't similar comprehensive photos of turbos. Have you looked at period road tests of the turbo? If they, in fact, had factory insulation, you could always add it.

The foam BMW chose to use for the 2002 and 2002tii sub-models was particularly....fugitive.

I bought my '76 new and it's been garaged for its 42 years. Below are photos of my '76 taken in August 1983 and August 2013. In 1983 (first through fourth photos), the pads were intact. A corner of the left pad was lifting. But by 2013 (fifth photo), all three pads had turned to dust and all that remained was the original glue and minor remnants of the pads. I did not have to intervene to achieve the 2013 appearance!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_1181.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)