• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat Repair - More Foam or Springs

PeterCS

My front seats are a bit soft (not surprisingly!).

I have stripped off the vinyl (see the pic below).

Will more foam fill them out and stiffen them up or do I need to do something with the springs, if that is possible?

thanks, PeterCS

1974 2002 Inka

1982 315 Baur 

BMW Inka front seatdownload.jpg

I would suggest hog-ringing or gluing canvas or heavy tarp material over the entire top of the springs underneath the pads, this stops the pad from pushing through the springs and also spreads the weight out over the springs making them a little firmer. It also helps keep the horse hair from further deterioration. If this is not enough then you can put a layer of 1/2" or 1" foam over the pad, this will preload the springs and make it firmer yet

BMW must have either changed suppliers or ordered a much cheaper grade of both gummihaar (the horsehair padding) and vinyl for the squarelight cars; their seat upholstery is nowhere near as long-lived as that used in the roundies.  

Examine your seat pads carefully; if there's a lot of fallout (brown "dirt") coming off the bottom side, you may as well either have a foam insert cut to fit, or get a new pad, 'cause you old one is disintegrating.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am towards adding a piece of canvas with a foam piece glued to the canvas and inserting this below the horsehair.

Not a perfect solution but am hoping that it will add bulk and reduce the sloppiness.

Will let you know how it works out.

thanks, PeterCS