• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 rear axles repair

ras02tii

If I'm replacing the boot I usually use the grease that is supplied with it, otherwise I'd look for some kind of a moly lube.

Take your pick:

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/constant-velocity-cv-joint-grease-4-wt-oz-SL3174.htmlhttp://www.ebay.com/bhp/cv-joint-greasehttp://www.speclubes.com/products/cvjg/1/app/cvjg/cvjointgreases

Is this for the early axles with a clear boot with a sliding joint on the outboard side and u-joint at the inboard end? IF so then I believe they use 90 wt. gear oil

Or the later axles with CV joints at both ends?

These are packed with moly grease.

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

Definitely oil - I am pretty sure 90 wt. gear oil if my memory serves correctly.

There is a fill plug and you fill it 1/3 to 1/2 full.

DO NOT use moly grease in the u-joint - or any u-joint for that matter.

Nice 1600!!

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

This image from BAT was taken from underneath a 1600 that has one of each style of halfshaft. The driver's side (left side in this view) is the old style that originally came on your car, you can barely see part of the inner joint which is a u-joint on the old style halfshafts. The right side is the newer style using inner and outer CV joints. The old style outer joint has a small filler cap on the outer joint which is where you pour your gear oil in, the one in the photo has no oil left in it due to the large tear in the boot, I'm sure. There was a discussion on this forum regarding clear boots a few weeks ago that has more good photos. Hope this helps.

IMG_2727-4.jpg

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I knew I would get called on that!! :)

It has to do with the relative hardness of molybdenum disulfide and is perfect for sliding high pressure joints but will wear out u-joints prematurely...

Let me see if I can find the reference that explains it much more elegantly than I could ever hope to...

Here 'tis Toby - From the interwebs but seems credible - YMMV!!

Chester

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/4605-mobil-1-synthetic-grease-drive-shaft/

Moly additized greases are excellent lubricants,however, should only be used in limited applications as the moly can actually cause early failures in most uses. Never, ever use a moly additized grease in a wheel bearing or universal joint application. Moly additized greases are primarily indicated only where extreme pressure sliding action occurs. When Moly is used in non-friction bearings the moly causes accelerated surface degradation (frosted mug appearance) of the rolling surfaces and premature bearing/race failure. The moly is actually harder than the hardened bearing surface and does not crush when the bearing rolls over it. In universal joints, in addition to surface failure, the moly centrifuges to the extremes of the bearing, blocking oil flow, causing accelerated bearing end wear.
If a single grease is being considered a non-moly grease is the safest primary recommendation. The use of both moly/non-moly specific for sliding/bearings application is ideal.
I currently have 5 failed universal joints sitting on my lab table with very low time; all were regularly greased with a moly additized grease and each failed due to the use of the moly grease.
George Morrison

I know what the manual says with respect to U-Joint grease. My statements are from a lube engineer's perspective (along with 6 inches of scar tissue on derrier from having used Moly in U-joints before this was known!). CV joints, however, are another story.
Purging the U-joint will work fine; it is continued use of the moly grease over time which causes the problems..
One can never go wrong using a high quality non-moly grease in every applilcation (except CV joints), however the same is not true of moly greases. There are so few real applications and need for moly additized greases and so many potential problems as a result, moly greases are like a curse for us lube engineers..
George Morrison, STLE CLS