• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slightly sexier topic! Missing torque specs

worzella

I am just about to get together with my brother for the great "put together" after the great "take apart" of my engine (75 car). Being anal as I am, I have my step-by-step instructions I wrote up after scouring BMW service PDFs, Macartney, Shadetree articles, Haynes and the forum.

I noted torque specs in my document for any steps needing them but there are a handful of items I could not locate a torque setting for. I again scoured all of the same sources, but these are not common things, so not listed anywhere that I could find.

So if anyone can give me the exact number.. great.. or in the spirit of ant, cow and elephant as my software manager used to ask when sizing code projects... give me a ballpark.

o The bolts for the rear crankshaft flange cover where the rear seal is set into

o Oil pump

- I am using the original intake with a 320 pump body, so what are the torques for the two halves when I join old to new

- The oil pipe inside the lower timing cover is bolted to the block... but I cannot find a torque for that

- For the new 320 pump body, the washer goes behind the gear and the thin nut is in front. Looking for that nut torque

- When tightening the pump body to the block, need torque setting

- When tightening the pickup support brace to the #3 crank cap.. need torque for that

o Head - The oil pipe has a hollow bolt with upper and lower crush washers...what is the torque for this hollow bolt

o Cam sprocket - What is the torque for the 4 bolts going into the lock tabs to hold the sprocket to the cam flange

Merci'

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

Since no- one else has piped up, I'll make the obligatory 'tight enough' post.

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/

might help- the oil pump nut, in particular, has been revised at least half a dozen times.  I dunno what's current.  

I make it quite tight, after using red Loctite on it.  18" breaker bar, 'good stout pull'- I don't reuse the nut, either...

All of those M6 into aluminum bolts are in the 'short wrench until it feels right' category of 87 inch- lbs, a number that I just made up.

The hollow oil tube banjo bolt needs to be tight enough to deform the aluminum crush washers,

but not so tight as to deform the steel tube.  You can feel and see the washers start to distort, and that's when you stop.

The cam sprocket, likewise, is 'pretty tight'- I use red loctite there, too, although purple's probably good enough.

no help here,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If you're super anal retentive....and paranoid....like me, you'll consider going the extra mile on that oil pump nut. It was a PITA to drill - even using a safety wire drilling jig....but I sleep better at night, knowing this little sucker ain't goin' nowhere. 

80-89 in/lb is about right for nearly all 6mm (10mm head) fasteners. You can also google "standard tightening torques for metric fasteners" and find certain standard specifications.

photo 1.JPG

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

If you're super anal retentive....and paranoid....like me, you'll consider going the extra mile on that oil pump nut. It was a PITA to drill - even using a safety wire drilling jig....but I sleep better at night, knowing this little sucker ain't goin' nowhere. 

80-89 in/lb is about right for nearly all 6mm (10mm head) fasteners. You can also google "standard tightening torques for metric fasteners" and find certain standard specifications.
59261f2d47df9_photo1.thumb.JPG.63e66e5aaca66999595861ef8fbc4361.JPG

Very interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went digging this afternoon- BMW expects you to follow the 'standard torques' for almost all of the

bolts in the engine, as they do not call out torques for anything but the usual victims.  I didn't even

find much mention of the oil pump sprocket nut, and that one's become infamous...

Paul, that's some of the cutest safety wire ever done, short of a WW2 fighter...

Don't you find that you lose horsepower to the extra windage, tho?

heh.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL