• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint block? Wrist Pins? And More!

flagoworld

Greetings,

Paint Block: I just received my block back from the machine shop. Shiny. Factory, I believe, had it painted black, right? Should I re-paint it? If so, what is the recommended paint? Regular ol' black engine enamel?

Wrist Pins: What's standard procedure here? I have my set of used pistons, but they did not come with wrist pins. Should I look for new wrist pins and have them fitted to the pistons? Should I use the old ones? I cannot find wrist pins for sale at first glance, so maybe I will have to put up a WTB?

Assembly Grease: Recommendations?

Thanks

'74 Verona

Yes it came from the factory painted black, I paint my blocks light gray so any fluid leaks will show up clearly, I use hammer- rite paint and it holds up at block temps just fine any other brand I would go with engine paint just to be sure. Have your old wrist pins checked out with your pistons to start with they may work fine or not but have your machinist check the fit first.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

thanks

checked my wrist pins and they dont seem worn out. might try to get new ones since they appear to be fairly standard sizing and many websites sell wrist pins. if i cant find any, ill reuse.

opinions on painting over freeze plugs? any reason not to? not finding any good reason not to on the google machine

went with lubriplate 105 assembly grease

'74 Verona

The area behind the flywheel is fairly well protected and you don't have to paint it if you don't want to but on other hand there is no reason not to paint it if you want I always do. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 4/21/2017 at 3:03 PM, flagoworld said:

Paint Block: I just received my block back from the machine shop. Shiny.

Looks to me like that block was shot-peened? (check with machine shop).

If so, suggest checking all oil galleys, bolt bosses, and every nook and cranny for leftover media ... you don't small metal 'balls' to be part of a new build. -KB

5 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

The area behind the flywheel is fairly well protected and you don't have to paint it if you don't want to but on other hand there is no reason not to paint it if you want I always do. 

Thanks. Opted for painting behind the flywheel.

5 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

Looks to me like that block was shot-peened? (check with machine shop).

If so, suggest checking all oil galleys, bolt bosses, and every nook and cranny for leftover media ... you don't small metal 'balls' to be part of a new build. -KB

I'll be sure to check with them on what they did. I carefully inspected for leftover media and found none. Either they did a good job of cleaning off the leftover, or they didn't use that cleaning method.

'74 Verona