• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driv3r

I've used the whole afternoon trying to restore my vent window mechanism. As you all know, the unit is sealed and generally replaced with an alternative working mechanism when it stops working or become harder and harder to turn. I had 6 pairs of these in my spare part stash so decided to pickup the worst and try to refurbish it. This method worked for me and made the mechanism movement feel like new. You're welcome to follow this process if you decide to refurbish your window vent mechanism. Please ensure you clean the unit from any dust, oil or rubbish before this overhaul. Here it goes:

IMG_1291.JPG.efacb635b352646c4702fa5c0c246483.JPG

1) So the unit is sealed. The main housing is made of aluminum so you cant just pry it trying to remove the sealed cap, it will brake the housing (trust me, I wasted 2 units already!). Grab a small flat head screwdriver and a small hammer. Gently tap the aluminum edge around the sealed cap to widen the edge. Be gentle or it will crack.

FullSizeRender.jpg.967f93d02956ab8d5b01e4b662ca18be.jpg

2) Try distributing the pressure evenly. Once the edge is wide enough, use a screwdriver to pup the cap off. (Note where I use the screwdriver, its the strongest point)

FullSizeRender_1.jpg.260b8ca8e8ae156961e652e5d39cf3be.jpg

3) Once the cap is off, use a small screwdriver or a nail and patiently pick all dried out grease. I used a brake cleaner (spray can) to get rid of old stubborn grease.  It wont leave any residue since it will all evaporate almost immediately. You don't have to do this. You could just clean by picking what you see.

FullSizeRender_2.jpg.7cb9102501ba2a9ec84f99d78c87fc83.jpg

4) I used a heavy duty, water resistant, long lasting general purpose grease with extreme temperature rating (non petroleum). The vent mechanism is very similar to steering box mechanism. Apply moderate amount of grease and push it in between the gears then move gears back and forth using the knob.

FullSizeRender_3.jpg.3076a320f7df15b8fea2e2ebfbfee2a4.jpg

5) There is a small grease pan under the horizontal gear shaft. Repeat step 4 until you see grease coming out of the top of horizontal gear shaft. This means the bottom grease pan is full. (Try not to over fill). The vertical gear shaft has a small play (moves up and down by 1mm). Using your small flat head screwdriver, try getting some grease under the vertical gear shaft by pushing the other end of the shaft from outside of the housing. This will help smoothing the movement.

FullSizeRender_4.jpg.9428f1886d3a97e21e0c4949053cdab5.jpg

6) The vertical gear shaft is supported by a small tension bar from outside where the vent window frame is inserted. Remove the holding screw and tension bar, use small amount of grease on the inside of the tension bar and reinstall (do not over tighten the screw).

IMG_1310.JPG.7ad0e3010e2c86a4fbb0616654e376de.JPGFullSizeRender_5.jpg.29c6e7b94ba5cd31111777eec19e6164.jpg

7) Now put the cap back on and gently tap the edges inward with a hammer. You're Done!

FullSizeRender_6.jpg.8d9ee34a83cdce4161804f5c68c57b64.jpg

Now, when I finished doing this, I noticed a small amount of grease under the vent mechanism housing where the horizontal shaft is. Looked closely and noticed there is a small hole possibly made for inserting grease occasionally or in major service intervals.

FullSizeRender_7.jpg.900205c0347af0d4e6443f615c2bb3fd.jpg

But you need to clean out the dead grease before using this grease hole. Most currently available used vent mechanisms have dried out grease and in need of complete clean out anyway and you wont need another overhaul anytime soon!

I hope this process is useful to any member. Cheers

View full article

• Like 3

Very cool.

I wonder if roasting one would allow the petrified grease to flow out through the fill hole. 

Cheers,

I'll try melting the old grease and report back. It looks and feel like hardened jelly, it might burn rather than melt.

Excellent write up, thank you. I suggest melting the old grease out in the oven, while your wife or girlfriend is away. I have just been warming several of my leather wrapped vintage during wheels in the oven, after soaking them in Lexol repeatedly, knowing that the opportunity and time window was short to achieve this project. Be sure that the Grease doesn't leak down onto the hot, basal part of the oven where the smell will be a giveaway when she comes home and goes to bake muffins, a chicken etc..

Best regards, Peter

• Like 1

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

Excellent write up, thank you. I suggest melting the old grease out in the oven, while your wife or girlfriend is away. I have just been warming several of my leather wrapped vintage during wheels in the oven, after soaking them in Lexol repeatedly, knowing that the opportunity and time window was short to achieve this project. Be sure that the Grease doesn't leak down onto the hot, basal part of the oven where the smell will be a giveaway when she comes home and goes to bake muffins, a chicken etc..

Best regards, Peter

Thanks Peter. I've actually tried to melt the old grease but only a small part of it turned into oil and most dried out chunks got harder and started to burn. Not sure if it had anything to do with high viscosity of the dried jelly grease or not but others might have different experience. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My passenger vent works ok but "bottoms out" before sealing against gasket.   Any way to adjust rotation?   Blue Book doesn't help.

Cancel this!  found the rivets on the hinge broke!

Edited by wtinker

On 2/23/2017 at 9:12 AM, halboyles said:

There is a hole in the back of the knob to insert a hex wrench or bent screwdriver.  You insert the tool into the hole and then push out the cover.

vent window knob removal.png

Note the small round mark/indicator for the location of the hole in the diagrams above.  It can be harder to see in real life due to wear in the plastic.

2002ventwindowknob.jpg

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Last night, when I was addressing a fit up issue with my passenger vent window, I saw your post.   Original gear box was toast so I redid the donor as per your post and it works GREAT.  Thanks for taking the time to post it.  Now onto the driver side,  just because.....

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I would simply drill a very small hole in the seal cap. Then use a tapered nozzle on my grease gun and force grease into the factory grease port. Shoot some WD40 in there first. This is not a fast rotating gear. On the slop in the gear preventing full closure, I think the problem mostly is the gasket, ( dries up) . Don't think they ever sealed great! On greasing the car in general,  a hypo needle on the grease gun pricked into the dust seal will keep those ball joints going a long long time. Do not over grease. The door close restrainer are a pain and a week point. Peter Z

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 2:50 AM, Peter Zettler said:

I would simply drill a very small hole in the seal cap. Then use a tapered nozzle on my grease gun and force grease into the factory grease port. Shoot some WD40 in there first. This is not a fast rotating gear. On the slop in the gear preventing full closure, I think the problem mostly is the gasket, ( dries up) . Don't think they ever sealed great! On greasing the car in general,  a hypo needle on the grease gun pricked into the dust seal will keep those ball joints going a long long time. Do not over grease. The door close restrainer are a pain and a week point. Peter Z

Never use WD40 on any project unless you’re tasked to work around the house and you find that the barn door hinges are little squeaky. WD40 will not dissolve dried out grease. I have tried other purpose made products and none worked even acetone. The above article was the best way to restore this mechanism for me.