• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal vacuum pipe brake booster (new seal)

D.martijn

Does anyone know how to remove this white plastic tube from the brake servo?

I applied epoxy primer on my sandblasted brake booster but would like to remove this white tube before I paint it fully black.

I was able to turn it counter clock wise for like 1/8 of a turn and then could not remove it.

IMG_20170120_221636_zpsvjddmpjp.jpg

Do you have to turn even further? or should it already have popped out?

Of course I'll replace the old seal with a new one from BMW (34331103314)

Thanks

Edited by D.martijn

As my late (and sorely missed) father-in-law (who taught me how to work on cars) used to tell me, "Mike, if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If the fitting isn't broken or leaking, clean it up, wrap it in masking tape and paint around it.  Much easier that taking a chance of breaking 40 year old, brittle plastic and then waiting while a new one is ordered and shipped.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Ok, thanks for the comments.

I was able to remove it by cutting/prying the old seal in two.

By applying some wd40 and than twisting the plastuc tube back and forth I could remove the old seal and easily remove the plastic tube.

There was quite a bit of rust under there, removed it with a wire wheel and applied some Brunox to stop further rust.

Glad that's sorted, thanks!

IMG_20170120_224149_zpsew9mofye.jpg