• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B pillar exterior trim question

BrentF

Are you referring to the aluminum trim piece on the exterior that covers the B pillar?  If so, it's held to the car by aluminum pop rivets that are hidden under the rubber gasket that the window glass pivots on.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

Are you referring to the aluminum trim piece on the exterior that covers the B pillar?  If so, it's held to the car by aluminum pop rivets that are hidden under the rubber gasket that the window glass pivots on.  

mike

yup. if you peel back the door seal you'll find the rivets (I believe there are 4)... when replacing it, you drill them out with a bit which is just large enough to catch only the inside of the rivet. Reverse order for install.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

55 minutes ago, MildSeven said:

yup. if you peel back the door seal you'll find the rivets (I believe there are 4)... when replacing it, you drill them out with a bit which is just large enough to catch only the inside of the rivet. Reverse order for install.

Just so I am clear. Are you saying I have to open the car door to reveal the door's weatherstripping, and peel that back to reveal the rivets that hold on the aluminum trim?

Does that mean, once the aluminum trim is off, the exterior rubber trim on the B pillar is free to remove?

2 minutes ago, BrentF said:

Just so I am clear. Are you saying I have to open the car door to reveal the door's weatherstripping, and peel that back to reveal the rivets that hold on the aluminum trim?

Does that mean, once the aluminum trim is off, the exterior rubber trim on the B pillar is free to remove?

yes, if memory serves me correct, the weather seal slots in to the B pillar...

Ok, memory does serve me right.. just googled an image.

The seal slides out towards the car's interior to expose the rivets.

qtr_rivets.JPG

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

• 4 years later...