• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Drive My Daily Driver 02 to LA to Learn to Race Challenge

Benjamin A.R.

Bad plan.   always start a track weekend with new/good brake Pads.  

Hmmm...  

I remember one cold morning at PIR, driving back and forth along the road behind the grandstand, trying to get a new set of

something or other to bed onto a new set of rotors...  20 minutes later, they still hadn't gotten warm, but most of the material had

transferred itself to the rims...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the input everyone, I will factor all of it into my prep work.

In the interest of sharing some more useful info for the next guy, the way you identify a standard brake master cylinder is it will have a big "20" cast on the side whereas a tii BMC will have a big "23" cast on it.

BMC2.thumb.jpg.f2673554a6f763aad2b95210beec5b7a.jpg

Can you see why I want new grommets everywhere? Ha.

BMC.thumb.jpg.3f83180e2c78fea146c6de02146c7715.jpg

I bought a NOS rebuild kit on fleabay, that's why I want to get the grommet for the clutch master separately. I don't think it's part of the kit. I talked to Bob the parts guy at Weatherford BMW in Oakland, he went through the old catalogs for me and they didn't give a part number for it either. Looks like I'll try to reuse the one I have, I don't think it's as bad as the  BMC ones so maybe we'll be good.

I came home to a mountain of parts outside my door and I've got some good info for the group. The NOS Clutch Master Rebuild kit I bought (21521102935) has the unknown grommet! It looks like I'm right too, it appears that it's the same part as the stock Brake Master Cylinder grommets. I compared them side by side. Sealing ring is the same diameter, bore looks identical. The only difference I can see is the bottom skirt is just a hair shorter on the Fag piece that came with the CMC rebuild kit when compared to the ATE piece for the BMC (34311103205). I think the two are interchangeable.

581c0b1a88345_NOSRebuild.thumb.jpg.2a6d53fde385dfe2a425fa08a8245509.jpg581c0b87382a0_Nosrebuild2.thumb.jpg.5e9287a47302de4018ed82a3d0e124d7.jpg

NOS stuff is so cool.

BMCvsCMC2.thumb.jpg.d64db11a49043e31ca803b5124dc9e2d.jpg

Bottom is the Fag CMC part, top is the ATE BMC part. As you can see the Fag is shorter but I doubt it matters.

I think it's just difference in manufacturer and 30 years difference in when they were produced.

BMCvsCMC.thumb.jpg.2f811aa533002b1cd96a8b9f842591f1.jpg

Another view showing how close they are. The # molded into the Fag CMC piece is (H0850 2-70) maybe someone who has an account on the Schaeffler-Fag website can double check me the legit way?

It's hard to stump Steve, but he has no clue what my Fuel pump is haha.

Correction, NOS stuff is only cool when it's the part # it's listed as. FUUUUUU...Oh well, the piston was kinda scuffed anyways. The info about the grommet still stands. Guess I better buck up and get a CMC in the mail immediately, this is looking like one of those stupid reality shows where the mechanics barely meet the deadline every time.