• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 tii wiper pull switch

Nader

Any idea how to wire 73 tii wiper pull switch? I have three wires red/white/yellow and diagram that has these wires going to 53b/53a/53. But if you see pictures attached I have 53b/53e/53. I don't have a 53a and have 53e instead on switch. Are those the same?

IMG_0921.JPG

Nader, these are basically resistors and not hooked up to any kind of ecu. Couldn't you just hook up the wire nominated for 53a in the diagram to 53e and test the movement? The easiest way is to use a multimeter and check the output. In easier term, you would have one cable coming in (positive) and two cables going out, each with different output. So test each with a multimeter using the ohm setting (20k). First find your main positive and connect it to the switch terminal using the diagram (presumably 53). Then use the multimeter and test the other two terminals on the switch by using the switch knob and connect your wires accordingly. 

I was just dealing with this switch - black/red (SW/RT) should go to the input (53).  Yellow (SW/GE) goes to 53b.  White (SW/WS) goes to whatever's left.  it's a simple switch.  The resistors for speed are in the wiper motor itself. The switch just sends current to one or the other. Any 2 position switch would do (but not an on/off switch obviously).  Hopefully your insulators arent as cracked and brittle as mine.  Sorry in this pic the red and white wires are reversed (this is how my car was when i opened it up).

Photo Sep 23, 8 14 16 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2016-09-29 06.42.07.png

Edited by Posaune

wired mine this morning and it's working now. My understanding is that the letters don't mean anything. It's trial and error thing. Now i have the wiper on ALL the times. I have to figure out why that is considering i have a new stack switch on.

" Now i have the wiper on ALL the times. I have to figure out why that is considering i have a new stack switch on. "

The on off switch on the turn lever may be stuck in the on position or else you somehow have the washer pump on all the time which will also turn on the wiper motor.

I disconnect the pump and even removed the stack. Still when I turn on ignition the wiper motor turns on and stays on. My guess I have a bad relay. But I don't believe there is a way to test those. I took mine out of its sleeve and I see it making contact and staying on. 

I disconnect the pump and even removed the stack. Still when I turn on ignition the wiper motor turns on and stays on. My guess I have a bad relay. But I don't believe there is a way to test those. I took mine out of its sleeve and I see it making contact and staying on. 

Nader, you need to go through the process of elimination. Grab a 12v bulb and hook it to a 12v battery using the viper switch. Do this outside of the car on your work bench. This will show you if your switch is faulty. If not, then you've got your viper motor wiring wrong. Bypass the internal wiring loom of the car and bench test your motor. A multimeter can do all this without the hassle of bench.

My '68 wipers started to run continuously. It was the motor itself, the park switch had become worn out. It actually was an easy fix after figuring it out. Bent the park switch contacts so they would no longer short out to the rotating part and it worked fine.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

I once had the constantly running wipers problem and before I figured it out I added a toggle switch in line underneath my Dash then I found out about the park switch which was an easy fix.

I also have a toggle switch under my dash for the electric fuel pump

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown