• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(Pics) 40DCOEs with straight stacks and angled filters, stock booster

KFunk

I've been slowly trying to clean up my engine bay, and wasn't thrilled with fitment of IEs straight filters, and I accidentally damaged one by tightening the clamp too much. IEs bent stacks won't fit my Italian carbs. Someone posted a link before to some angled filters from Spruell Motorsports, but those are discontinued. 

Eventually I found these, which are almost exactly the same size as IEs, but angled 15 degrees, and have a removable red pre filter that can add a little to diameter.  It's not a perfect fit in terms of looks, but better.  More angle would be better to get fronts to match rears, but 15 degrees is about the only option.  They did not include the rubber inner collars which are necessary for clamping to the stacks, so I reused mine from IE.  Someone needs to get a source for them.  

https://www.denniskirk.com/uni/two-stage-pod-filter-w-angled-flange-2-1-4-in-i-d-x-4-in-l-up-4229ast.p305044.prd/305044.sku

Now time to clean up some of the wires with friction tape and clean up some of the paint.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

But how does it look with the filter on the back carb? Probably a little smashed and crammed on? It looks like they could help just a bit, but really I'd like the full curved ones like IE has for the Spanish Webers.  I'm not sure how the length and end width compare to my stacks, which admittedly I have not measured. 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Oh, and I should mention I have a warneford manifold, which is a good bit longer than some of the short manifolds.  I think it's supposed to be nice for bottom end torque, but does suck for filter clearance.

Bring a Welder

Ummmm...15 degree UNI filters?

...been running mine almost 3 years; they are great. 

image.jpeg

Looking back, I bought mine from DennisKirk, also.  I bought the longer version, but don't use the red, pre-filter.   These are the early, Alpina A2 Solex 40DDHs.  The stacks on this set up are cast aluminum, not terribly long, they have a venturi profile but don't have the tulip lip; so the UNI filters attach without the donut.  Pretty slick, really.

solexes mounted.jpg

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool