• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrofitted Tii Style Trailing Arms, Refurbished!

Captain Manly

A new set of custom, retrofitted Tii style trailing arms for the 2002. I have taken standard trailing arms and welded a reinforce backing plate to boxed the pieces like those of the Tii version trailing arms. This increases the stiffness and strengthen the part to handle more demanding performance environments. The trailing arms were media blasted, with welding areas coated with Eastwood's weld through primer (arms and plates). Braced to prevent any heat warping, and stitch welded in place with the welded areas addressed with Eastwood's high strength soldering material. The interior was coated with Eastwood's green etch primer, the exterior was coated with Rustoleum Primer and then painted with Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black paint. Bearing surface areas were all cleaned and all the threads for the bolt holes and shock mounts were cleaned up as well.

NOTE: THESE ARE NOT ORIGINAL Tii TRAILING ARMS, ONLY RETROFITTED BOXED VERSIONS. Shipping is USPS Ground (best rate for such items, runs about $60 depending on postal code, which I will need for final invoicing). I WILL NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT UNTIL SHIPPING CHARGES ARE PAID FOR, NO EXCEPTIONS

Serious Inquiries only!! Current complete Tii trailing arm set ups are getting rare and are now running $500 if available. You will need to provide all other bushing, bearing, and brake item of your choice to complete the set up. I do take PayPal but plan to add 4% for such handling fees, mailed money order are accepted. Please review the photos and reach out to me for any questions that you have.

FYI, I am also working on a modified control arm upgrade as well, more to come on that later.

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1336 (1).JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338 (2).JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1340 (1).JPG

IMG_1341 (1).JPG

the extra for pay pal SHOULD only apply if buyer does not use existing balance or direct bank withdraw options with paypal.  paypal charges 3% to seller to cover the credit card fees if those options not used.  not sure why the extra 1%.

an it would be nice if the PRICE of the trailing arms was in the ad...

would also be nice if sellers of trailing arms would include the specific spacers and shims that were originally in the trailing arm.  would save a lot of hassle trying to get the right shim later..........maybe they are hording them?

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

And other thing Mlytle, I stated that these are not Tii trailing arms but upgraded standard trailing arms that have been boxed in. Second, in my research on Tii trailing arms I did not see anything about shims on Tii versions. Needless to say if the standard ones did not have them, it is a moot point.  Finally, if YOU had questions about them, you can (or could of) sent me a message and I would addressed you concerns before expressing you views.

I guess someone is trying to protect his horde. Hmmmm

8 minutes ago, Captain Manly said:

Second, in my research on Tii trailing arms I did not see anything about shims on Tii versions. Needless to say if the standard ones did not have them, it is a moot point.

They all have shims.

GLWS

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

one VERY important detail is missing from your description.  original tii trailing arms have a hex-head piece welded to the interior of the trailing arm to prevent the flexible brake line from rotating because there is no access with a wrench possible.  without such a piece you run the risk of spinning and  cursing like crazy to free them up once they seize up and they are prone to stubbornness over time.  done right, retro-fitted standard trailing arms are a sure way to ensure that the interior is all clean and not rusted through.  i've made a set up before and was fortunate to have access to a sheetmetal punch to reproduce the brake line hole to match originals.  i had to hand file the hex-head feature i described, though, but it worked. 

as for the shims, they are referring to the measurements that are depicted in the 'blue manuals' (and Haynes manual IIRC) of the wheel bearing and axle stud, including the spacer piece.  i have yet to come across a trailing arm where the measurements did not correspond with a random set of spacer, shim and bearing, but that may just be dumb luck.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Unfortunately, if you do not have the spacers and shims that were in the trailing arms it will take some measuring to figure out what thickness of shims are needed to get the right fit.  It will also require somebody getting those parts used or new if you don't have them available.  The brake line does require a way to prevent it from spinning as was mentioned since it is not accessible from the inside of the boxed section.  The flanges of tii trailing arms were also hardened whereas those of  the carbureted 02 were not. 

17 hours ago, lilmo said:

They all have shims.

GLWS

Yes.  They all have shims and spacers from the factory that are specific to the individual arm.   These are what center the bearings and account for manufacturing tolerances in the arms.  They are required to use the arms.   Several of the sizes of shims are nla.  That is why the shims and spacers should stay with the arms they came on.

Getting an arm without these parts is a pita to set the bearings correctly. 

2xM3

On 6/4/2016 at 8:00 AM, shermanmartinez said:

Unfortunately, if you do not have the spacers and shims that were in the trailing arms it will take some measuring to figure out what thickness of shims are needed to get the right fit.  It will also require somebody getting those parts used or new if you don't have them available.  The brake line does require a way to prevent it from spinning as was mentioned since it is not accessible from the inside of the boxed section.  The flanges of tii trailing arms were also hardened whereas those of  the carbureted 02 were not. 

sherman,  i'm not really sure what you are referring to as flanges on the trailing arms, tii or otherwise?   are you referring to the bearing bore area?  or is it the separate wheel hub axle flange?  dang, i did not know they were hardened.  gonna have to take some rockwell hardness readings to sort my stash out now.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa