• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a starting issue with my 1976 2002.  Any advise as to what I should look at next is greatly appreciated.  

What the car is doing:

It wont start. it clicks once when turning the key.  The front light and turn signals also stopped working when the car started failing to start (but the back lights work).  I've tried jumping the car and it does the same thing.  The issue started a couple weeks ago when I was trying to start the car, It cranked just fine but the engine wouldn't start, after cranking it a bunch of times, I checked the spark plug wires and distributor cap, made sure those were connected.  After jiggling the spark plug wires the car started right up.  Then it died a few minutes later and it needed a jump.  Over the last week, I was able to jump the car but when I turned it off then tried to start it right away, it would not start.  Now the car doesn't start on its own or with a jump.  

What I've done: 

I tested the battery.  Took it into Autozone and they said it was good.  I checked it on my own just a couple days ago and its only showing 11.73 which is low.  I replaced both positive and negative battery cables, new wires going to starter solenoid, new negative battery ground wire, new ground wire on the alternator, cleaned up the chintzy wires going to the alternator brushes, new voltage regulator.  I did the screwdriver bypass test on the starter and it clicks just once.  Before I take the starter off, is there anything else I should check?  I also don't believe the alternator is charging the batter correctly.

Thanks, 

Roberto 

Coupla thoughts:

When you (and Autozone) tested the battery, didja do it with a voltmeter or with a load tester?  A battery can show 11.73 volts on a voltmeter and produce zero amps--and it takes amps to start the engine, and a load tester will tell you that.  If it tests bad, charge it overnight and test again.  If it then drops into the bad range, it's new battery time.  If it's good, then I'd check my charging system.

Try turning on your headlights and then turn the key to start.  If the headlights go out or dim way down, chances are very good you have a weak battery.  If the lights stay bright and the starter fails to do anything but click (that's the relay, incidentally) then there's something wrong in the starting circuit.  You already bypassed (and thus cleared of guilt) the starter switch by using a screwdriver to bypass it, so that's probably not the problem.  And if you check the starter relay (put your hand on it) while someone turns the key to start and you feel it click, then the starter relay is OK.  

Have you checked to see if the seat belt interlock has been disabled/removed.  IIRC those cars had a circuit that wouldn't allow the car to start if the seat belts weren't fastened.  It was a very bad idea--and poorly executed from a technological standpoint--and most people disconnected the system...but maybe something in your circuit has shorted out, thus revitalizing it.  Long shot, but possible.

Once you've done that, it may be time to pull the starter motor and bench test it...if it doesn't work on the bench, take it to an auto electric shop for an overhaul, or just buy a rebuilt unit (or rebuild it yourself) .

Let us know whatcha find--and happy troubleshooting

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you for the response Mike.  I tested the battery on my own with the voltmeter (11.73).  Autozone tested with load tester.  I do think the battery is weak, but if a drained battery was the issue, wouldn't jumping the car make the car start?  Also, this is relatively new battery.  Only 2 months old.  The reason I think there is a battery charging issue is because this is the second battery I've got in the last 4 months.  Definitely think there is a charging issue.  So I will check the seat belt interlock.  This is the first time hearing about that.  The wires going to the seatbelt are disconnected.  I have never used the seat belts in the car and prior to these starting issues, I've run the car without the seat belts fastened which leads me to believe that the seat belt interlock is disabled.  Can you tell me where to locate the starter relay?  It it near the voltage regulator or under the dash? 

Thanks, 

Roberto 

Update: 

I took the battery in and got a new one under warranty.  They said that is was so dead that even jumping it would not start the car.  The funny thing is that the battery was only 3 months old.  I put the new battery in and it started right up.  It does not need a new starter so thats good.  So I believe I could be only two things: The alternator or a short in the wiring that is draining the battery.  If anyone has any advice on troubleshooting the cause of my battery draining, I'd greatly appreciate it.  

Thanks,

Roberto