• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tamper Proof Bolts? Anti-theft

Has anyone used tamper-proof bolts for their intake manifold/carbs?  I'm worried about someone stealing my DCOE-40s  - Namely the guy I bought them from.  He knows where my car is parked at the shop.  He sold them to me, and almost 3 days later, calls trying to get them back saying I paid him half as much as he wanted.  

Either way, it is a good idea to prevent anyone without the proper tool to remove the carbs.

Anyone been down this road and have suggestions?

I like car alarms with an ignition kill switch, and a hood trigger in general.....I wouldn't inconvenience myself for a person who feels HE sold an item lower than HE should have...WE have all sold something that WE maybe could have gotten more for..

If the guy continues to contact you, you could ignore his calls.  Or you can respond in text and start a conversation via text.  That way if something were to go south you'll have his thoughts, his intent , and his a fore knowledge archived.

All that said.. whatever enjoy the carbs

unbolt the hood release lever and tie it up under the dash. if you have an extra lever to put in its place not connected to cable would be cool.

tell the seller the carbs were in the trunk and stolen along with other items in there.

Find some replacement nuts that are 12 point instead of hex.

Chris

2 hours ago, 69NEWCLASSNH said:

Has anyone used tamper-proof bolts for their intake manifold/carbs?

Anyone been down this road and have suggestions?

Tamper-proof or tamper-resistant?

If you honestly suspect someone of planning to boost a carburetor, why wouldn't you think the prospective suspect might not have the capability of defeating your efforts or possibly causing other damage while trying?  Is this not much different than protecting valuable wheels and tires or a treasured original radio, steering wheel or wiper arm?  

If you are going to all that trouble, you may as well mark/scribe the various parts (inside and out) with identifying information. Barbed wire and no trespassing postings in the cabin and on the firewall might be a nice touch, as might be video surveillance.  Frankly, unless you are overreacting, it couldn't hurt if you contacted local law enforcement for advice that isn't already obvious to you or your neighbors.

Best of luck.

1 minute ago, percy said:

Tamper-proof or tamper-resistant?

If you honestly suspect someone of planning to boost a carburetor, why wouldn't you think the prospective suspect might not have the capability of defeating your efforts or possibly causing other damage while trying?  Is this not much different than protecting valuable wheels and tires or a treasured original radio, steering wheel or wiper arm?  

If you are going to all that trouble, you may as well mark/scribe the various parts (inside and out) with identifying information. Barbed wire and no trespassing postings in the cabin and on the firewall might be a nice touch, as might be video surveillance.  Frankly, unless you are overreacting, it couldn't hurt if you contacted local law enforcement for advice that isn't already obvious to you or your neighbors.

Best of luck.

I'm wondering if anyone suggests any bolts that cannot be easily removed to secure the carbs and intake manifold to the car.  Would only take one or two of them to protect from theft.    I'll get something like this.  Not too much trouble, to protect an easily removable part which is very valuable.  trs1L.jpg

Those fasteners are clearly a good deterrent.  However, a pair of vice grips and strong hands might still defeat the devices, albeit with some difficulty.  Besides, if given enough time, the carburetor is accessible when removed with the manifold.  Perhaps I am missing something, but if the carb were to disappear, based upon you prior posts, wouldn't you (and the police) already have a prime suspect?  Or is this the type of crime that happens daily in your area

As mentioned above, there is another consideration.  What happens when the thief's original purpose is frustrated by your devices, but he nevertheless damages other items while trying?  Your conundrum is not unlike the installation of wheel lug locks to protect new wheels and tires, but a thief ends up destroying the wheels and scratching the paintwork trying to remove the locks.  If crime or vandalism prevention were easy, locks and alarms would be unnecessary.

Imagine the damage that a (clearly psycho) person will do when, after defeating all security to get under your hood, they are frustrated by those bolts. Cost you a lot more than a pair of second hand carbs. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Why does everyone seem so dead set against using special bolts to protect the most valuable pieces on the engine?  There are literally 4 bolts holding each of them on.  Not one person has offered anything constructive to the topic.

My car is covered for vandalism.  I don't believe a pair of aftermarket carbs are going to be covered in the event of a theft.

Edited by 69NEWCLASSNH

I'd sell the carbs back to him, for exactly what you paid, because I believe in Karma and positive/negative energy, and all that punk rock hippie jazz…

In other words: the baggage attached to them wouldn't be worth it, to me. Constantly thinking "somebody's out ta' GIT me" would take a lot of the joy of ownership from me. Carbs are easy to find. If I stressed that much about my own 2002s, over the last 30+ years, I'd probably have owned something else and been way happier. YMMV.

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

16 hours ago, 69NEWCLASSNH said:

Why does everyone seem so dead set against using special bolts to protect the most valuable pieces on the engine?  There are literally 4 bolts holding each of them on.  Not one person has offered anything constructive to the topic.

My car is covered for vandalism.  I don't believe a pair of aftermarket carbs are going to be covered in the event of a theft.

I did not disagree before but now I do

"Everyone" is not dead set against using special fasteners for your carburetors.  I specifically stated that those [pictured] fasteners "were clearly a good deterrent."  If it makes you feel more comfortable, use them.

The problems with employing special fasteners are numerous, including practicality.  In addition to increasing the difficulty of carburetor removal, special fasteners require a special tool for their simple removal/installation.  That could be a problem for you when you can't locate the tool.  Ever see hot rods or other vehicles where the engine bays are exposed for all to see?  Many of those cars have valuable bits attached to their engines.  It is pretty rare to see tamper-resistant fasteners used in those circumstances.

Since your carburetors are not accessible without opening the bonnet, (as are not-inexpensive batteries and radiators), a hood lock or some other increased security measure might be just as effective.  But that invites the concern - about which you apparently care little - that being any resultant damage that is likely to occur when the would-be thief is thwarted from removing the carburetors or even gaining access to them.

Is it better if your aftermarket carburetors are damaged or stolen?

Your distinction between vandalism and carburetor theft is silly.  Questions regarding your insurance coverage are best resolved by reading your policy, asking the company for any answer, or obtaining the appropriate coverage.

Like it or not, there is wisdom in what Paui W says.;)

article-2301175-18FE5344000005DC-687_634

pyth-8413dpf.jpg?v=1391330036

Edited by percy