• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 BMW 1600 in Portland, OR

Mark92131

I am thinking about going back tomorrow and testing the rust a bit more with a hammer and pick and jack. Do you think the 1967ness of the car makes it much more valuable? Seems like its of an interesting vintage but maybe missing some of the parts that make it special. I don't need a project but if I could just buy it, stop any further rusting and fix a few of the big issues I would probably consider it a success.

Yego, let me know if you are still considering it.

I am thinking about going back tomorrow and testing the rust a bit more with a hammer and pick and jack. Do you think the 1967ness of the car makes it much more valuable? Seems like its of an interesting vintage but maybe missing some of the parts that make it special. I don't need a project but if I could just buy it, stop any further rusting and fix a few of the big issues I would probably consider it a success....

You will not get rich restoring a '67 1600-2. As I said above, there is probably a small premium associated with a '67 1600-2 over, say, a '68 or '69 1600-2. But that premium is also related to how original the car is. Does it have the original, matching-numbers engine? So many 1600-2's acquired 2-liter engines over these last 50 years that an original 1.6-liter engine is probably pretty special. The five original rims are gone and the distinctive early steering wheel is sadly gone, but there are still plenty of original components here.

I assume you've reviewed the esteemed Anders's The '66 Bible:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

Although this car is a '67 and not a '66, it originally shared many features with the '66 cars.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve and Yego,

Thank you for the responses. I'm sorry to hear you will be passing on the opportunity Yego, obviously, dealing with shipping etc. makes it a much different proposition for you. Steve, I had not seen that post, though over the last few days I have tried to read up on the older 1600s as much as I could. Thank you for the link. As I mentioned, I will check it out again tomorrow. I do not think I will be the savior this car needs, but I could maybe stop the bleeding and ensure it doesn't get chopped up, and if I don't make any money or lose a thousand on it, that will be okay, hopefully I could hold on to it until the right person came along. All subject to what I find tomorrow, of course. The thought of a roundie and the old grille does give me some chills, but it is likely a job for someone with body skills. I'll report back again after probing a bit more regardless. 

And again, if anyone from out of town is considering it, I would be happy to help facilitate in any way.

Best,

Peter