• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stay safe out there, guys/gals.

Jim_75Sahara

I recently fell asleep at the wheel of my Mini. Mary and I ended up in a ditch along I-675 after a horrific ride through the grass, mud, reeds, and gravel -- into a creek. Neither of us was injured. The Mini is in the body shop getting repaired. In fact, I was able to drive it home after the tow truck winched it out - ever so carefully. They were amazed at how far we'd gone without serious consequences. So, what happened? I had worked 3 twelve hour nights. Then, on my first night off, we drove from Dayton to Cincinnati for dinner and drinks with very dear friends. If you've ever worked night shift, you know that having a few drinks and a pasta dinner when you're more exhausted than you realize is not so wise.(especially if you're going to be driving)  I fell asleep at the wheel and I KNEW BETTER than to do this. It was very foolish and I am embarrassed as hell.   - - - - Consider this a PSA for driving sober, rested, alert and smart!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I get my Mini back next Friday. I finally picked up a rental car today. (It's a 4-door 2015 Ford Focus - I like it better than I'd imagined.) The last event we went to, Mary was my stone-cold sober driver. Both of us sometimes forget to factor in stress and lack of sleep when driving late at night after dining out.

Thanks for your concern. Maybe I can save a life here, right?

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Good thing you and your wife are still around to tell the story and all in one piece to add to that! If it were a classic mini, I don't know if all of us would be hearing the same story,,,just because of the ride height factor.. then again it might be harder to fall asleep while driving a ol' mini. We all make mistakes, at least you weren't tipsy drunk while driving, that would be far more careless  ;)

We drove from Cincinnati to Dayton on Sunday night after a Super Bowl party at my sister-in-law's house. I had 2 beers at the beginning of the evening, but none later on. I was rested, alert, etc. as I set the cruise control just under the speed limit. I figured that there'd be a number of speed traps, but I certainly didn't see one. Managed to stay wide awake/alert/safe.

UPDATE:    I am still awaiting my repaired Mini. It seems that the The Mini Store in Cincinnati is sending the wrong parts and sometimes leaving out parts ordered for the repairs. If I am lucky, I will pick up my car on Tuesday. I had a rental car for about 10 days. I liked it more than I thought that I would.... a 2015 Ford Focus 4-door, automatic, with leather seats. They've definitely improved the Focus. I am considering getting one for my daughter. Her 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara is working okay, but scares us a bit. It leaks a lot of oil. Plus it has a dead a/c, a dying radio and poor MPG figures. My son's 2001 Taurus wagon went belly up. He's buying a 2014 Nissan Altima and he is very excited about that. So...... at long last, the Taurus era is over, since our niece sold off the ailing  2001 Taurus wagon that we gave to her. Holding back the inevitable tears.... haha

UPDATE:    I picked up the Mini today, finally. (2-24-16) It appears to be in super condition. The original estimate was low by at least $5K, but even I knew that the estimate was far too optimistic. Glad to be in one piece and very glad to have my Mini back.

Edited by Denker

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz