• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC Console/Shifter Surround Removal

tskoda
Go to solution Solved by tskoda,

1973 2002 base with A/C. Car has been sitting for 5+ years.

In the course of fixing all the myriad switches that don't work, I want to remove the center console. I have all the side screws out as well as the knobs/nuts for the radio and A/C control. It seems like the shifter surround needs to come out to get the console faceplate to have enough clearance to be removed. None of the manuals I have cover that procedure, and the shi8fter boot doesn't seem to simply pop off to give me access to any screws/clips,etc.

I am reluctant to start forcing stuff.

Searches here haven't turned up what I'm looking for, at least the way I had them worded, so can someone provide a link, or steps to remove the center console faceplate/Shifter surround?

thanks

Tom

well, let's see...

the label on the faceplate says 'frigiking'. this one has the radio at the top of the stack, then the vents, then the A/C controls at the bottom

and there are no screws on the shifter surround at all. I suspect that pulling the sifter boot would reveal the hold down screws, but that boot doesn't seem to pop off like my newer BMWs

@Peterschop - your shifter surround is quite different than mine. Mine is flat and clearly ends before the A/C unit faceplate

Your Frigiking unit has a shift surround that's separate from the console itself.  You're on the right track for removal:  unscrew the shift knob,  the remove the rubber boot.  You'll then see two sheet metal screws that hold the plastic surround in place.  

Those surrounds have a bad habit of breaking around the screws, and also breaking where the metal shift boot retainer is fastened to the plastic body, so you may have to reinforce both places before reassembly.  I had to do that with mine 20+ years ago, so I'd be surprised if your surround is still intact.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• Solution

@mike - ah I see that the boot just fits around the metal frame. The 2 screws are revealed!

Both need reinforcing, but that's easy enough.

And the faceplate slides out easy as pie.

Now to hunt down replacements for all the missing screws... and decide whether to update the radio

thanks all

Tom