• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering car

witz

Looks over inflated a bit, but a nice profile.......Thanks

I guess I have to change my front springs to drop it an inch.

Have you removed the front spacers already? All later 2002s had spacers of varying thicknesses between the strut bearing and the inner fender, which raised the front of the car to meet DOT requirements for bumper and/or headlight height.

There's a good chance they were removed long ago if your car was owned by an enthusiast before you but they could still be there if you car is very original.

Worth a look.

Searching for strut spacers should get you more details.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

+1 on the front spacers. On a '76, that will lower the front end about 3/4" and it easy to do. Remove three nuts and drop the strut and remove spacer. H&R progressive rate sport springs will lower a little over an inch over stock springs. While you are at it, a new set of bilstein HD shocks would be nice. That is the set up on my car. Greatly improved the ride without making it too harsh. Keep in mind, the more you lower the rear, the more negative camber you will have.

Post pictures of your car so we can see how it sits.

Spacers moved to top of fender

post-41415-0-34362300-1435696906_thumb.j

Thanks, I will check and see if I have any spacers there. I don't know what kind of shocks I have on the car now but they look black,maybe Sachs. They are firm. 

I have KYB's gas,,,,,,a just a shocks on the back. Seems to handle good now. Just get the look I want.

Car is in the shop getting a paint job from Chamonaux  to Sahara. 

I will post a photo later.

Thanks

I would not have guessed that those were 17's. To my eye, they look almost more like 15's. Regardless, I'd agree, looks like it could go a little lower. The 195 shouldn't be a problem, but your tire diameter would be in the range of 2" larger than a stock tire, so may well have some rubbing on the inner fenders especially when turning.

They look like 15" wheels to me as well. What is the full tire size? 195/50 R??

Anyway, nice looking 2002. The front end does look like it's sitting a bit high. I'd bet the spacers are still installed. Let us know what you find.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Tire size is 195/50/ 17  Wheels are 17 inch X 7 inchs  wide. They don't look like 17's because the profile of the tires are so low.

Car handles great for being stock. I will check to see if I have spacers. 

You are right, it may rub a bit if I lower it. Well at least it will look good.

If you increase the weight of your tires / wheels too much your car will actually loose performance, especially acceleration. This especially pertains to 4 cylinder cars. You may perceive your car corners better, but it will certainly not be as springy and light on its toes.

The 2002 was not designed with 17" or even 15" wheels in mind. With 17" wheels and ultra low profile tires, you're looking for trouble; decreased acceleration, increase in steering effort, rough ride, blowouts and bent wheels. A well tuned suspension with 185/70 x 13" tires or 205/60 x 13" tires mounted on 13" x 6" light alloy wheels would probably blow you away.

Slavs

Tire size is 195/50/ 17 Wheels are 17 inch X 7 inchs wide. They don't look like 17's because the profile of the tires are so low.

Car handles great for being stock. I will check to see if I have spacers.

You are right, it may rub a bit if I lower it. Well at least it will look good.

The profile of those tires is not that low. 195/50 is the same profile used with 15in wheels. You sure those are 17's?

2xM3