• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed shifter platform - help needed

kaptanoglu
Go to solution Solved by jimk,

Connor and I had a great time at Terry's Spring 02berfest.  Sputter ran great, and as a bonus, we shot through Lockhart, TX (self proclaimed BBQ Capitol of Texas), and that route took us through some fantastic roads (through Luckenbach and Blanco) that Connor got to drive.

However, as we were leaving lunch, only 170 miles from Connor's flight, going into 3rd was very "wet noodle".  After battling though traffic bits (from 0 to 80mph to 0 to 80mph), it concluded that the shifter platform was coming loose.  It was marginally better getting into 2nd and 4th than going up to 1st, 3rd and 5th, so I opted to drive the rest of the way to the airport using those two.

Again, I suspect that the platform that holds the shifter ball has come loose.  The trans is the normal 5 speed upgrade, and I don't have pictures of it in my Blue Books.

Questions:

- Does the 5 speed platform have a support brace like the 4 speed?

- Can I get to the bolts that affix the leading edge of the platform without pulling off the drive shaft?

- Should I be able to get to this crawling, or should I take it to someone with a lift?

Thanks in advance.

PS - A certain restoration shop is getting Loctite in it's stocking again this year

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

• Solution
- Does the 5 speed platform have a support brace like the 4 speed? - Can I get to the bolts that affix the leading edge of the platform without pulling off the drive shaft? - Should I be able to get to this crawling, or should I take it to someone with a lift?

No brace,platform is usually supported from the tunnel at the rear of the platform

Yes, but close work.  They are socket head cap screws.  The left one is drilled thru into the case.  Once I sealed the threads on mine, I have a dry back end on the trans.

You will need jack stands at a minimum or drive up on ramps.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks a bunch.

Off to get a (new) jack.  It seems like I can jack up the right side (with stands, and give it a go.  I might have a few coarse words for the whole operation.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

I forgot there are two sets of bolts.  The socket head capscrews that go into the gearcase, then there is a capscrew thru the platform and little mount that the socket head screws go thru.  Either could be loose.

I forgot there are two sets of bolts.  The socket head capscrews that go into the gearcase, then there is a capscrew thru the platform and little mount that the socket head screws go thru.  Either could be loose.

I have a good idea where the first two cap screws are.  Can you describe the location/orientation of the other two with a little more detail?

No brace,platform is usually supported from the tunnel at the rear of the platform

50% correct.

the 5spd conversion does not have a platform specific to it.  both the 320 unsupported version and the 4spd supported version are used interchangeably.  i use the supported version from a 4spd.

you have to get under the car to find out what your slop issue is...and figure out what platform you have.

2xM3

you have to get under the car to find out what your slop issue is...and figure out what platform you have.

When Jim suggested that I didn't need to drop the drive shaft, I was off to the garage.  It turns out that this conversion did have a brace, and (drumrollllll please), the brace broke.  I guess it is a 5,000 mile maintenance part.

post-39317-0-74367300-1427677803_thumb.j

I will have the shop that fabbed it send me another and I can throw it in.

Sadly, lack of a hockey puck and lack of patience cost me the end of one of those metal straps that locates the rear subframe on the body.  I presume that I can order and replace.  Otherwise, I will get it welded up.

post-39317-0-81030600-1427677397_thumb.j

I used to be sooooo well set up, but living in a midrise has shrunken my toolbox.  Working in the garage is verboten, but I made do (Sputter's great-grandson Scooter is parked next to him).

post-39317-0-14130300-1427677670_thumb.j

post-39317-0-81030600-1427677397_thumb.j

post-39317-0-14130300-1427677670_thumb.j

post-39317-0-74367300-1427677803_thumb.j

While you're in there, carefully inspect the Metalastic mounts that those Allen bolts pass through.  If your 5 speed conversion is fairly new, they're probably OK, but if they're old or original, they're probably black goo and very sloppy.  I changed 'em out on a 4 speed without having to drop either the driveshaft or exhaust, but it was a PITA job.  

Hope it's only loose bolts and the broken brace.  Good luck.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

While you're in there, carefully inspect the Metalastic mounts that those Allen bolts pass through.  

The mounts were new with the swap, but I put a wrench on them when I was under there anyway.  

Now I just need to get my hands on a rear subframe strap and get the shop that fabbed the conversion to deliver a fix on the brace before next weekend.

Looks like your drive shaft flex disk (guibo) ... is cracked..prob should replace soon

Yep.  I may do that when I fix the rest.  It may be tougher on stands, but I have a pretty big breaker.

• 3 months later...

It only took five months, but I now have this all fixed to my satisfaction. I was bothered with how the top of the brace went to the platform and the bottom to the trans brace, putting it under twisting pressure when you stomp on the gas. Most of you solve that by putting the bottom of the brace on the trans, but the alignment of that looked tough on Sputter. Yesterday, however, I put in some racy suspension bits with heim Joints at both ends, and with the left thread/right thread combo was able to fine tune the length. Overkill, perhaps, but now it is rock solid.

I also replaced the shifter with a UUC short shifter and the linkage with a UUC Custom length DSSR. Sputter has had a rattle from the linkage between 3,500 a 4,500 RPM forever, and it had driven me bonkers. Much to my satisfaction, it is now rock solid.

Last, I replaced the gumbo, my first time doing it myself. It looks a little distorted, so I may need to tinker a bit more to get it right. After 5 hours in Houston heat I was too beat to keep going.

post-39317-0-91288500-1437311476_thumb.j

The fact that this car has just been completely refurbished and the guibo is already shot, means there is work ahead.

The fact that this car has just been completely refurbished and the guibo is already shot, means there is work ahead.

No doubt. Much about the car was done very, very well, but there have been issues. The last guibo lasted about 7,500 miles.