• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a Porsche

gregpark

Looks like you got an incredible deal. Pictures soon I hope. And not to be petty Jim, but are you serious about that pronunciation? I'm pretty sure it is Porsh-a, or Porsh-uh. Maybe Poor-scuh is the American way.;-) Pretty sure this devolve in to the Bimmer/Beemer war, so just in case, here's what you get when you cross a BMW with a Porsche!

Had to think about it while typing...guess it is POR-SHA.  My thick German accent former neighbors always used two syllables.  I kind of cringe when I hear it pronounced only with 1 ( - like PORCH).

5b7dad0f8aac67e6bd09cfe2591dae1f_zpsf650

f627899593a6f98217d2e6fff735fe37_zpsafb9

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Upon further research I discovered only 3400 911's were produced in 1967 and less than half of those were of the base model I just bought. And of those, this car is one of only 200 equipped with a factory sun roof. Now my initial plans for the car may have changed since I'm now probably going to sell it. I'm thinking Maybe I should just clean it up and leave it pretty much as is (untouched, stock and complete)? take it to Sears Point on classic race day? maybe take it to auction?  any advise?

Edited by gregpark

Well - for sure leave it untouched if you intend to sell it now.  

There are a bunch of different ways to do it.

Ebay - but they take a piece.  And - if payment is with paypal, they take another piece.

You might think of joining a Porsche forum.  Pelican Parts (www.pelicanparts.com) has a very active forum.  You'll get lots of hits there.  Also Rennlist.  One of these types will probably maximize your take home dollars.

Finally - craigslist.  I look on there a lot, and they get a lot of traffic.

I'd avoid an auction.  The auction house usually takes a big piece.  

So - in order of how much you can pocket:

Enthusiast Gathering:  Sears Point etc....

On line BBS - Pelican, Rennlist, etc...

Craigslist

Ebay

Auction

It's totally up to you, but I'm sad you are selling it.  It's a rare car.  The longhoods are fantastic.  You'll never see another one in your stable again if this one goes.  

Still waiting for a pic.

Good Luck.

Ken

PS - 3400 is more than you think.  In 77-78, Ferrari only made 2200 GTS cars.  That's for both years.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Ha.  Tell the wife!  My wife knows this is what I do when I don't work.  She's been amazingly understanding.

Nothing wrong with sprucing it up - but realize that if you flip it, doing that work typically won't change it from a Condition 3 to a Condition 2 car.  Maybe from a Condition 4 to a Condition 3.  Of course - you have a lot of room given your purchase price to stay "above water".  

Seriously - before you sell it, you need to look at it and say "I will never own a car like this again".  Because, they aren't making more of them.  That's a rare beast sitting in your garage, that is getting rarer every day.

Keep it, love it, drive it.  Let your heirs figure out how to sell it.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Yeah, my wife is understanding too about buying toys for myself. Maybe not though when she learns what this car is worth. That's quite a few fancy vacations or a brand new car for her! ha, ha. Actually, she'd be fine with me keeping it, after all, it's not likely to go down in value. You're right of course, I hate to remember all the cars I've regretted selling. This car is a strong condition 3. Only problem is I'm running out of space for more vehicles, I see a possible garage extension in my future.

RED! I'd rather have almost any other color on almost any other car but I gotta say, it looks great on a 911. Still waiting on parts before The tank goes back in. Black interior list checked off and on the way. The car is in poor position for pics at the moment, but I'll post some as soon as she gets home (See? I'm already talking myself into keeping it). I posted my good story of good fortune on a 911 site and got 0 responses, what's up with that I wonder?

oops, sorry jge, just noticed your avatar. your '02 looks good red too ha ha, happy pi day

My last 2 extraneous cars are both red.  I didn't intend for that to happen - it just happened.

Which board did you post to?

Meh - whatever.  We all know the kool kids hang out here.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

German auto enthusiastics or forums or something like that, the 911 forum. 26 lookyloos 0 replies

I restored a red '64 El Comino once. Red was the original color and it made life much simpler to re-spray the same. Car looked great though. I read somewhere once that a red car is the hardest to see at night and metallic silver shows up best.

OP should be banned for not posting pics.  This is starting to sound like a Top Gear hoax.

Edited by cosm3os

Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest Spec E30 Series Director
1976 BMW 2002 "tii"

2014 Ford Mustang GT "Boss Lite"

ha ha, no it's for real. I haven't even brought the car home yet, the front bumper is still off and it's wedged in between a couple of other cars so I can't get an accurate pic yet. I will eventually, even though I'm terrible at taking photos

• 1 month later...