• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just bought a Porsche

gregpark

I've replaced most all of the rubber bushings on this car, all looked original and surprisingly, most were in pretty good shape. I went with bronze control arm bushings and did the turbo tie rod upgrade. I can tell it's an improvement, but the original stuff seemed to work pretty darn good (I did save the original tie rods of course). It amazes me how little the 911 and the 2002 have in common even though they're from the same country and era.

Just ordered a 22mm anti sway bar for the front. Kinda hard to find the right parts for this early car. Not many earlys around anymore so not much parts demand I guess. I found one mounting bracket but will have to copy/fabricate it for the other side. I'll tackle the rear later, one thing at a time.

Not enough! I actually drove it today though (got to maintain the battery and everything else, you know). The '02 seems so tame and civilized these days, it used to be my little hot rod. The Power of the 911 is intoxicating and I have to remind myself to drive my other vehicles for their own good. I doubt that the 911 drug will ever get old, it's just too much damn fun.

It's easy to get lost in one, but give love to all of them.

I drive the Porsche a lot, and when the Ferrari is running right - it's fantastic.  But, I still take the 2002 out for a spin from time to time.  It's not the same as the other two, but it's still a really fun car to drive.  Just for different reasons.

After the weber transformation, it's going to be a lot different!!!!!!!

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Oh, I love my 2002. Emotionally attached even. I'm the second owner and bought it in 1977 when it and I were still young, and the stories it could tell! I try to give the vehicles equal time but the 911 is the new kid. I've kept all the vehicles I own now for some reason or other and do enjoy one at a time. Of all, I'd have to say the most fun adventures I've had were with the Jeep and the motorcycles. Just the nature of the beasts of course. The last one I'd part with would be the '02, it's part of the family and will be handed down. The 911 I'll eventually sell one day just because I'd worry about one of my Grandkids killing themselves in it. The more comfortable I get driving this rear engine car the more I'm enjoying oversteer, it's too much fun. My '02 is set up nicely and handles great but I can go around a corner way faster in the Porsche.

Just had a guy try to rent my '67 for one day to drive down to Laguna Seca next Saturday for the big Rennsport Porsche gathering, he offered $500.! Now, why would a guy want to take someone else's car to an event? I politely declined of course. Even if my collector car insurance covered it (which I doubt) there's no way.

There's no way I'd do that.  You don't even know if he can drive a stick, and how he's going to treat it.

I know a guy that said "Rent car - just like a truck.".  Obviously, it's a little different, but what if a guy in a TR6 wants to race?  Or a sunbeam tiger?  And then he wrecks.  

I saw a you tube vid about two guys that started a company that does just that - rents out classic cars.  It was New York Classic Car Club or something like that.  Interesting business model.  I'm not going to do that with one of mine though.

I'd say "the rental is 85K, because you'll have to buy it".

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

• 1 month later...

Just installed anti sway bar kits fore and aft. Manufactured by Tarrett, both 22mm, billet, fully adjustable, high quality alloy with an equally high price tag. Totally changed the dynamics of this car and in hind sight, worth every penny. Going to be fun playing with the stiffness adjustment. Now to choose tires, any recommendations?

Yes, Fuchs 6x15. I was thinking about the Falcon azenas I put on the 2002 because they're so grippy and fun but the 911 would probably chew the rears up in no time. Maybe something more reasonable for wear, I'll check on the Porsche forums to see what the preferred options are.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an FYI that is "CIS" injection, not "CIF".  FWIW, early 911 "S's" never  had "CIF or CIS" injection"  ('67', '68's had carby's, '60-'73 had Bosch mechanical fuel injection).  The '73-1/2 T's had CIS so they (porsche) could get the cars past our jagoff emissions regulations.  Have fun with your car.  Porsche's are fun (Bm's are more fun....and cost less).

CIS-yes, constant spray. Please excuse the typo. And it is a '73 2.7 S engine fully updated with RS pistons and cylinders, Dilavar head studs, a '76 high volume oil pump with the oil circuit bypass mod., an '84 pressure fed chain tensioner kit and less than 20,000 miles on this motor. Obviously not a number matching car like the one posted for sale in Jims 911 thread but you can't have everything! :^)

I have twice as much money tied up into my 2002 than this car (I admit, this Porsche was a great buy) and believe me, the '02 is fun but not more fun. It's less scary, but not more fun. :)    

Greg- I didn't realize your car had a later engine (mine does too). I have read lots of negative things about the Dilavar head studs Porsche used...something about the expansion rate of aluminum versus magnesium engine cases. My 82 engine also has the Carrera updated chain tensioners.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

To each his own I say on the fun factor.  I loved my SC, but it scared me into selling it.  Scared me in the sense as to how much it cost to fix when sh^t broke on it, and since I drove it (not the way most P-cars are driven) it was starting to show signs (engine/trans) that were significant cost items - well beyond my means to fix at that point in my life.  Have fun, drive it like you stole it (and based on what you got for what you paid....you did).

www.alpinabmw2002.com