• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carbon Fiber Hood

NullZwei

there are other options if you just want to save weight.  that is usually the realm of the race crowd though, and they all mount with hood pins vice stock mounting.   even greater weight savings when you ditch all the mounting hardware reinforcement.  the ARI pieces are not that light.  the layup is pretty thick and the mounting reinforcements are pretty solid.  maybe half the weight of the stock steel bits.  I have the exact weight differences somewhere.

but the first batch were a lot lighter, so it can be done without breaking the bank

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I have a hood and trunk lid from the first group buy. They are nice but your not going to get them look like the steel ones as far as being straight. The main problem was the bow in the top surface of the hood. Left unpainted it might be ok but I went with my steel ones.

I might be interested in selling but shipping would be a bitch. I live in Cleveland OH.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 4 years later...
57 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

This thread is older, but anyone have recent experience with AIR hoods (Fiberglass or CF)?  I was looking at this one (while I continue to look around for a cheaper solution):

https://www.americaninternationalracing.com/product/front-hood-4/ I inquired with them and they say it's available.

Thanks!

I have. They’re well-made, have an inner and outer layer (the fiberglass units I’ve used), though that thickness can present some fitment issues at the edges (certainly good for a race car, would need the edges rounded if trying to replace ‘street fitment’). They are professionals and stand behind their product, I’d use them again. -KB

• Thanks 1

they must have replaced their entire staff and fixed their moulds.  their products and support were absolute crap 4 years ago.  (refer my earlier post in this thread)  I still can't believe just how F'd up their parts were.   even when i explained and diagrammed in detail what was wrong with the first hood they sent, the second one sent was just as f'd up.  and the third one was only marginally better.   i have one of their CF trunk lids i haven't installed yet because of all the rework that would be needed to fix it.

i would not buy from them unless i could physically see the part and how it would fit FIRST.

Edited by M2M3

2xM3

I have a hood and trunk lid from, what is my understanding, the first group buy.  The ones I have are legit and both are currently on my car.  Saved 50 pounds.

From what I've read here over the last couple years, mine might be the exception.

But also know the ones I have look like the stock part, they are not 'race' bodywork.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.