• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Caliper Bleed Valve Question

Burtons Beamer

I have a 1971 bmw 2002. I started this morning on changing out the front calipers. I chose to order a set of refurbished calipers from Ireland engineering, which came to me in like new condition. I put them on with some new braided brake lines. Everything looked nice and neat until I went to put my wheels back on. The bleeder nipple(outside upper on caliper) now hits the inside of the rim? Do I need a shorter bleeder stem? Surely I don't have to now run wheels spacers? stock 13 wheels on car ....

This is a common issue with "rebuilt" calipers.  Let's rule out the supplier first...

Most new-er calipers I have seen come with taller (longer) bleed screws that have fewer threads.

Notice the bleed screws in this remanufactured tii caliper.

IMG_5624.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I have not had chance to call Ireland. I did a search a found a thread on this topic. It seams as if most rebuilt calipers are now shipped with longer (non-OE) stems. I now wish I would have pulled out my stems prior to mailing in my cores. Called napa and they said they have them. I am heading there now to see if they have ones that are a bit shorter. it appears as if this problem is more pronounced with the folks running 13 inch wheels like myself. I will report back.