• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator - Refurbish Or Buy New?

Stuart

I solved the hot running problem with my Volvo 1800 by running it without the thermostat. Same with my MGB. Despite all new radiators, hoses, water pumps, the damn things still ran too warm. Now with no 'stats they still don't run "cool", but they definitely aren't overheating. And no noticeable issues with either car's performance.

I solved the hot running problem with my Volvo 1800 by running it without the thermostat. Same with my MGB.

Our cars were designed to run with thermostats. I know everyone here has different goals, budgets, and ideas, but why not replace/renew/refresh/rebuild the items that need attention after 40 years? As we've seen here, there are options cheaper than over the dealer's parts counter.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I drove 3.5 hours to the vintage in Saratoga NY from Brooklyn and the temp stayed steady (3 o'clock) the whole way. Slightly above and slightly below when I was climbing and descending the hills. I was going around 75mph and it was 85˚ out. Did the same trip back later that day with the same results. So far, I'm really happy with this radiator. It's certainly not stock, but it does the trick for me.

mike tunney