• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 Rd Bake Light

tscoll01

First Post 15 year 73 tii owner. I'm trying to put miles on my car this year and I need a center stop brake light. No one see my round lights plus the right is out. Cleaned it up tried a drop of solder no go. Will use volt ohm meter. Please any suggestions for the brake light without the $5.95 e-bay specials. I made a promise to myself to use and finish the car this year. Just putting in a carpet kit this weekend plus I have to replace the alternator bushings, Big squeal on start up and they were replaced about 15 years ago.

Thank you Tim 1973 2002tii, 1999 528is BMWCCA 50787

I saw in a new car (Audi?) the third brake lights were flashing. It had two strips of leds mounted on the left and right top of the rear windshield, and they were flashing in a switching mode, left to right to left, etc, very impressive and impossible to miss if you are following.   

My newish volvo s80 varies intensity based on how rapidly you are trying to stop (brighter in a panic situation). I think the Audi approach sounds a little too complex. For a 2002 just adding a high mount brake light should be enough IMO. It's not like it blends in with all the Camry's Taurii and accords. Plus the cat-less exhaust should help to keep them aware of your presence.

I saw in a new car (Audi?) the third brake lights were flashing. It had two strips of leds mounted on the left and right top of the rear windshield, and they were flashing in a switching mode, left to right to left, etc, very impressive and impossible to miss if you are following.

I added a flasher module to my Daniel stern hella brake light.

Ryan

'75 Pastellblau "ol blue"

Since the new guy brought up the subject, I pulled out of storage this massive Bosch rear fog / 3rd brake light I've had for sometime. I'm using a fog light clamp to mount it to my bumper. I think it looks kinda cool but I'm trying to warm up to it. It's not as close the body as I'd like but I don't really want to drill into the body or bumper (yet).

So, how does it look? Too massive? Kinda cool? Thoughts as I'm trying to finish it off one way or another today, thanks.

post-39936-0-23358700-1402258485_thumb.j

post-39936-0-92138900-1402258506_thumb.j

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

Bumper mount not very effective. Too low. Can't be seen below the hood line of suvs.

Just ask clay. ...... when he got rear ended the other car hit..... his bumper mounted brake light.

Chmsl's need to be mounted high, where other drivers are expecting them to be.

2xM3

In a squaretail, you can switch out the top and bottom wiring and have the running lights be the brakes lights.  Its only a few inches higher, but if the car is lowered....

I used a motorcycle brake light flasher in my third brake light. Here is the write up.

http://1leadshoe.blogspot.com/2011/02/third-brake-light.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JTKgsuc3nXU

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Whats wrong with the ebay special... Best 10 bucks TOPS I've spent on my car the whole time owning it! You can ask others who've followed me if it's effective or not. I think it is. Plus its like 36" wide! I wish it was just a hair brighter though. And to be honest. I've all but forgotten it's back there cause you cant see it when it's off!

101_9707.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2