• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Electronic Speedometer Sensor/sender Setups

ClayW

For anyone with an electronic speedometer, how did you set up the sender for it? I used this Rostra unit, but it's kind of terrible. The cheap-o magnets eventually fell off and my attempt to replace them hasn't yeilded good results.

1600M42Running2007.jpg

So, what have others used? I remember seeing a VR sensor somewhere on the diff, but I can't find it.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Andy S. did something like that...

"For a speedo Andy used a copy of the reluctor (mounted inside the diff of an E30) and sandwiched it between the output flange and the inner axle joint of the '02 differential. He then used an E30 speedometer reed switch mounted OUTSIDE the diff by a simple bracket to straddle the reluctor and provide an impulse for a VDO electronic speedometer which fits perfectly in the '02 instrument cluster. "

When I see a hidden GPS unit driving an entirely factory-looking speedometer, I will leap upon that solution. I know this dream comes closer every day: just tell me when it happens!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'll be doing the same thing shortly. I thought about using a security contact magnet as they have a hole through the center and I could drill&tap the flange on the tranny or diff and use a bolt to secure. They are rear-earth magnets though, so maybe they are to strong. Anybody try these yet?

'76 Inca, restored to a roundie

"So, what have others used? I remember seeing a VR sensor somewhere on the diff, but I can't find it."

http://www.2002turbo.com/02electro.htm  Second to the last row.

For my ECU road speed is sorta like it but I drilled/tapped 6 1/4 holes for short pins/studs in the flange, no magnets.  Used a Cherry Hall Effect Sensor that I picked up of Ebay under a Haltech label.  VR sensors do not work well at low trigger speeds as is on wheel speeds unless you have lots of pins/teeth.  The reed switch system is an early solution before hall effect sensors became commonly available.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.