• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Housing

paulram

So I have my car up on ramps and the speedometer cable isn't hooked up.  I pulled on the housing to see if it was tight and it just pulled out easily.

1. Am I missing parts or are the bushings in the diagram already press fit into the housing?

2. Should the housing be fairly tight in the transmission?  It came out with little or no force?

3.  Is the housing held into place with the o'ring only?

Sorry but the diagram is not too descriptive.

Paul

post-45331-0-16548400-1399322833_thumb.j

post-45331-0-06616900-1399322841_thumb.p

There is a special screw that holds it in, looks like it is missing or backed most of the way out.  It is the one without a number in your diagram.  go find the diagram that has the description and you will be able to get another one.

edit: I re-read it, if you loosened it to remove the speedo cable then yes that assembly just pulls out, the o-ring holds it in but if it has never been replaced then it may be a loose fit.  Always replace the screw after you remove the speedo cable and it will not fall out and get lost, those parts are kinda pricey.

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

I didn't loosen anything...

I lost my speedo and fluid was coming out (cable came out on its own).  I need to get under the car and take a look and see.  It looks like there is a c clip holding the speedo cable to the housing (which im missing) and need to see how that screw holds it in and if it is also missing.

The bushing assembly consists of (4) parts (some may now NLA).  Bushing, collar, seal and the external o-ring.  If the parts are in good shape, when you loosen the little retaining screw on the side of the housing, the gear should stay up in the transmission (along with the bushing assembly and the fluid).  

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_9141_zpsf48a29cb.jpg

pics92709004.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Everything looks in good condition except the teeth are a little banged up but nothing serious.  My O-ring looks a bit flat comparing to your picture.

What holds the cable into the housing?  The screw holds the housing but what keeps the speedo cable from coming out?  It is the same screw that passes through the opening in the housing and clamps down the cable as well?

Going the squeeze my oversized body underneath tonight to check it out.

So I am missing the bolt that holds the assembly in place.  Anyone know where I can get one or the size?  With no part number I have no clue.

I'm replacing the trans in the next few weeks but have to drive it from North Jersey to Poughkeepsie NY.  I suppose I could plug it somehow, but the bolt seems to be the easiest fix.

That is not a standard bolt, it is a special shape on the end to hold the speedo cable in place. I believe they are the same on the 4 and 5 speeds so finding a used one should not be too hard, maybe a helpful soul has one on one of their old 4 speeds? 

I believe thi is the part you need (part # 14):

CLAMPING BOLT M6X15 1     07119911218 $0.38

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2213&mospid=47140&btnr=23_0767&hg=23&fg=15

and don't tighten that bolt too much, it threads into aluminum and the threads are shallow, it will strip easily.

Edited by FunkyLaneO

74 Golf

About a year ago I tried to get one of those bolts new thru the dealership and they were listed as NLA by BMW.  A member of this board sent me one out of a Pick n' Pull yard he found.  It was cross-drilled so it could be safety-wired in place.  I found a handy bolt about 3" up and toward the center of the car and wired it to that.

They may now again be available, or you could try the Parts Wanted section on this board.

I just checked here and they now show that P/N as available:

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/parts/index.cfm?make=BMW&year=&searchText=07119911218&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215771

Bob Napier

And if it turns out that the reason your old one fell out is because the threads are stripped, they can be repaired with a Time Sert but there are special steps that must be taken since they don't make a Time Sert short enough, I had to do it once and the tranny has to be out of the car to do it. If that is the case let me know and I will write something up explaining the steps that need to be taken.

74 Golf